How much for Robot Dice?

edited July 2010 in Story Games

Ordered more blank dice and printed up more stickers to make these customized dice for Happy Birthday, Robot! These are well-made plastic dice from Koplow Games with weather-proof vinyl stickers.

I'd like to sell these at GenCon, but I don't know how much I ought to charge. When you factor in the cost of materials per die, it comes out to about a dollar and some change. (Kinda scary, now that I do the math.) I'd like to sell these as sets of three, but I doubt even hardcore GenCon buyers would pay $4 or $5 for three hand-made dice.

So, what should I charge?

Comments

• Sell them for $6 and bundle them with the game for an even $30.

I'll beat up anyone who says otherwise.
  • you're gonna have a pretty hot title on your hands, it's already buzzy, your kickstarter tore shit up and set new benchmarks for successful initial funding in our little corner of the marketplace. So...

Sell three dice for $3

Yeah, it's a loss leader but these are pretty much useless without the game. Seeing cool little dice that go with it are nifty, and make it work better. It's fan service, and it gives consumers a tactile element to interact with while they consider the purchase. They can instantly see how the game works buy just throwing a handfull of these guys.

When other people see folks playing the game with these cool dice it creates a branded, unified experience at the table. It tells you that the game is complete. That feeling really reacts in customer's minds. It'll drive sales.

Sell the dice at a loss on materials but consider them an advertising expenditure. It'll work out in the end.
  • I pretty much agree with Kevin Allen Jr, mostly because... well... not wanting to be nasty, but they're really obviously blank dice with stickers on. You see a lot of dice doing the rounds at conventions, and in all honesty yours really aren't going to stack up too well. They look cheap, and I wouldn't be happy paying more than a couple of dollars for three. I can't help wondering if it would be feasible to run a second Kickstarter campaign to finance a manufacturing run of moulded plastic dice, or talking to Q Workshop about a licensing deal.

Sorry to be so blunt about it.

-Ash
  • I'll just throw out that I'd pay a lot more for actual *robot-dice*. Maybe they transform, or roll themselves, I don't know.

Seriously though, I think the package deal or taking them as an advertising cost is the way to go, as paying that much for dice that aren't clearly "luxury dice" (like those crazy metal ones or what have you) is a bit uncompelling (and this coming from somebody who pitched in extra on the Kickstarter project :) )
  • I'd add $5 or so to the cost of the game and throw in the dice as a mandatory extra. Who's going to want the game anyway without dice, I'd like to know.
  • Posted By: Eero TuovinenI'd add $5 or so to the cost of the game and throw in the dice as a mandatory extra. Who's going to want the game anyway without dice, I'd like to know.
    Meh, it's easy enough to play with regular D6. In fact, I intend to use FUDGE dice since you can interpret a + as an AND result and a - as a BUT result easily enough.

-Ash
  • Yup, these are definitely an extra thing and I don't think they'll stack up against an engraved/molded die. I made these mainly as a gift to the volunteers who are running HBR at GenCon and I made all the extras because, hey why not. :P

The way it's looking, they'll probably be a loss leader, as Kevin said.
  • I hate to say it because I don't want to be negative about a creative project, but as this is also a commercial venture I think I should point out that I would not pay at all for dice with stickers on them. As a gift they are awesome -- I wouldn't resent owning one -- but I couldn't feel good about paying for them except as a favour to a guy I respect. I don't think you want that brand of money though.
  • ehh, I'd pay $3 for 3 of 'em.
  • Not sure,

I think they should be prize support. Like if you demo the game you get one, And if you bring more people back to the booth to demo you get more as a referral bonus.
  • i also want to see more games that use fuge dice, but not like fuge uses them.
  • Posted By: TylerTNot sure,

I think they should be prize support. Like if you demo the game you get one, And if you bring more people back to the booth to demo you get more as a referral bonus.
    I could see people wandering around bringing folks back to the booth for demos in order to fill the whole set out.
  • I have to echo some of the sentiments here. My initial reaction was I wouldn't pay more than cost for stickered dice, and would consider your cost too much.

But, I would pay for a sheet of pre-printed stickers.

Yep. It's irrational, and having thought it through I can now reverse my opinion. But my knee-jerk, put myself in Average Joe's shoes reaction was to pass, thanks.

So, I'd suggest giving them away as a promotion and perhaps offer the stickers for sale. Then, people can cannibalize their own dice or buy a pound of cheap dice on their own.
    Either way, it might behoove you to let on just how much those blank stickers cost, since they're not exactly cheap. I really appreciated that you stuck some into my edition.
    Q
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: QHudspethYep. It's irrational, and having thought it through I can now reverse my opinion. But my knee-jerk, put myself in Average Joe's shoes reaction was to pass, thanks.
    Actually, I think you're onto something. A pre-printed sheet of stickers for your own self-assembly looks like (a) a cheap option for people who already have dice and (b) a finished product (albeit one you have to do some prep with). But by Daniel taking that extra step to doing the hand assembly for you, it actually appears to diminish the value of it.

In other words, it's okay for us to *make* something "cheap," but less so to *buy* something "cheap."

Fascinating.

- Ryan
  • Posted By: Seth DrebitkoPosted By: TylerTNot sure,

I could see people wandering around bringing folks back to the booth for demos in order to fill the whole set out.

There won't be any demos on the booth, though (we're a Demo-Free Zone). But up at Games on Demand they'll be running plenty of it. :-)

I think $3 for a bag of 3 works (I've paid for things like Mountain Witch dice and Colonial Gothic d12s in the past.)
  • At a dollar a die, they're more economical to buy direct from Daniel than for me to sticker them myself.

My time is valuable. If we say that my dayrate is £400, and that it takes me an hour to mess about putting the stickers on the dice, then buying the dice ready made from you had better cost me a sight more than £50, else I have just wasted the potential for money through spending that time. I would rather spend the hour playing a fine game of HBR - that's time, and money, well spent.

Giving them away as prizes sounds fun too though. It'd be sweet to get a playset of dice if I bought the book at GenCon.

Cheers
    Pete
  • I wouldn't pay money for the dice in the OP picture.
  • Thinking about it further, I don't think it helps that the dice are bright colours. It really highlights the fact that there are stickers on there, and those stickers are covering up the pretty colours with their drab whiteness. Weirdly, I think they'd look better with just white dice rather than fancy ones. You wouldn't notice the stickers so much.

-Ash
  • To be very honest (and critical), I think these dice would devalue the book. The book is a beautiful, stylish product; having color-clashing homemade dice stacked next to it would just look really weird.

(Yeah, I'm the guy who posts negative stuff in Daniel's threads - sorry, Daniel!)
  • Fortunately, there are some white dice in the mix. Too bad I put blue stickers on them. :P Oh well, I'll have them out and if people want them, I can have them available. Sticker sheets, too.
  • Daniel, you did the art for happy birthday robot right? i think you could do some really great sticker designs for the dice, like maybe a robot's face with an LED read out mouth that spells "but' or "and". something like that may sell better.
  • These stickers were such a pain to align properly and fit within the template, I didn't want to get too complicated with the design this time around. Plus, the rules in the book use these exact graphics in the text, so I didn't want to deviate from that much either.
  • I dunno, I think people are overthinking this. It's a game for kids & families & school, right? Those kind of dice look right at home in those spheres, and I think especially when sitting next to the book. The boutique price for them is probably too steep for that audience, though like I said, I'd pay for 'em.