[Fiasco] Playsets you'd like to see

edited April 2010 in Story Games
This is a thread for pure fanboy fantasy - as Luke says in another thread, "Never ever talk to fans to see what they want." But no harm in throwing this out there - perhaps Somebody will make one of these playsets.

Shoggoth! - a Lovecraftian playset. Crazed cultists, scrolls of summoning (but not binding or banishing), ancient treasures (that lure characters to their doom), locations in Boston and on other planets, weapons like tommy guns and spells to drive you insane...

Corto Maltese - a playset with a different feel. Nobody plays Corto; characters are all the adventurers, madmen, voodoo priestesses and mythological persons from the comic. Pirate treasure, hashish, beautiful women, the Triad, trains full of gold.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I demanded a Mad Men playset on Facebook the other day, and Jason promptly told me to write it myself.
  • A 60s Leftist Radicals playset. I mean, that stuff always seesm to have ended in a fiasco IRL, so why not?
  • Holy cats! Yeah, a Yippie/SDS playset would be pretty great.

I think I'd like to see a summer camp playset. Or a reality TV show playset.
  • edited April 2010
    Posted By: BrendanI demanded aMad Menplayset on Facebook the other day, and Jason promptly told me to write it myself.
    Damn fucking right!

Seriously, you can write these yourself. They're easy and fun to write. When I read Fiasco, I thought it would be perfect for Guy Ritchie films, so I wrote the playset. I am Fiasco and so can you.

You're right, Brendan, a Mad Men playset would be wonderful.

Graham
  • Posted By: EnricPDXHoly cats! Yeah, a Yippie/SDS playset would be pretty great.

SDS, SLA, RAF, PIRA, Weather Underground,... aw hell, all kinds of alphabet soup idealists-turned-violent-vanguardists. Daddy/Mommy issues all around.
  • You guys could author one collaboratively. Start a thread and break it down. For the radical playset, my advice would be to keep it general - let the players find their own way into the events by loading it with appropriate relationships and locations, but never precisely defining either the group or their politics. Call it "Liberation" or something, and imply several potential sets of circumstances within the playset items. Pitch-perfect Relationships will be key. Please do this!
  • edited April 2010
    I am actually working on a Lovecraft-themed playset. After the Endgame minicon yesterday, plus this, I feel a breeze at my back on this project. I think I'll try to wrap it up and publish it next week.

I'd like to see a playset geared toward white-collar crime - Bonfire of the Vanities, say.
  • Posted By: ccreitzI'd like to see a playset geared toward white-collar crime -Bonfire of the Vanities, say.
    Oh man, great idea! After Wall Street Roach was such a hit last year, I bet it would transfer well to Fiasco.
  • edited April 2010
    Star Wars.
    Maybe one set during the filming of the "prequels".
    Starkiller Ranch...something like that.
  • I don't suppose you have the materials for this Wall Street Roach available somewhere, do you? That'ss cool on its own merits.
  • I posted a link to The Big Anime Con in another thread. I'm kinda tempted to make "convention caper" playsets for comic and gaming cons too, so we can play those at the actual conventions for a layer of gratuitous meta-ness.
  • Posted By: ccreitzI don't suppose you have the materials for this Wall Street Roach available somewhere, do you? That'ss cool on its own merits.
    Whisper me your email address and I'll send you what I have.
  • A 'Munchkin' inspired play-set. Stab your buddy in the back indeed.
  • (still have to try Fiasco again - first attempt failed horribly, but that's for another thread entirely!)

San Bernadino
    Playset based on the Frank Zappa song.

She lives in Mojave in a Winnebago
    His name is Bobby, he looks like a potato

She's in love with a boy
    From the rodeo
    Who pulls the rope on the chute
    When they let those suckers go

He's a slobberin' drunk at the Palomino
    They give him thirty days in San Ber'dino

Well there's forty-four men
    Stashed away in tank "C"
    An' there's only one shower
    But it don't apply to Bobby

You may think they're
    Dumb an' lonely
    But you're wrong
    'Cause their love is strong
    Stacked-up hair
    An' a cheap little ring
    They don't care
    'Cause it don't mean a thing
  • Posted By: Per Fischer(still have to try Fiasco again - first attempt failed horribly, but that's for another thread entirely!)
    Would love to hear about your experiences. Start a new thread so we can discuss!
  • I don't know if it would work for a "proper" Fiasco play set, but something with The Three Stooges might be fun. It would have to dial down on the darkness, of course.
  • I would love to see a child friendly set done in the style of a saturday morning cartoon. Need... To foil the plans of my nemisis. To keep my love safe. To steal pick-a-nik baskets.
  • One of my longer-term projects is a set of softer Tilt and Aftermath tables, for settings that don't involve murder and arson. It'll go in the collected playset book, with appropriate sets to use with it.
  • Please consider a Munchkin-ish set. I suddenly want to run that as a con pick up game this summer.
  • Scott, I can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarOne of my longer-term projects is a set of softer Tilt and Aftermath tables, for settings that don't involve murder and arson. It'll go in the collected playset book, with appropriate sets to use with it.
    +1 Genius Point
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarScott, I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    No freakin' time man. I may play around with it 'at' a con but right now? Unfortunately there is no way.
  • I want to see a Hogan's Heroes-esque playset, "...In a WWII Prison Camp." So I'm going to make it (with some help from Chris Bennett).

I also have this idea for a "...On leave in 'Nam" playset.

- Ryan
  • Posted By: Ryan MacklinI also have this idea for a "...On leave in 'Nam" playset.
    That sounds like "This one time...at band camp..."
  • I still haven't had a chance to play the darn game, but I've been idly fiddling with a peacekeeper/aid worker playset.

Draft here: http://mage.legendary.org/wiki/index.php/File:Es_playsets.doc

Needs are unfinished and parts of it suck, but feel free to use and abuse it if anything strikes your fancy.
  • Is there an SF playset out? I'm imagining a miner colony in an asteroid belt, something like that.
  • Tom Gurganus is working on a "Mars colony" set with lots of sci-fi color.

One of the playsets-of-the-month (September maybe?) is claustrophobic hard sci-fi, inspired by Danny Boyle's Sunshine and some proposed extensions of the Apollo program in the mid-seventies.
  • Posted By: MatthijsIs there an SF playset out? I'm imagining a miner colony in an asteroid belt, something like that.
    I also thought of doing a "rundown space truckstop" kind of Playset. Let you guys know what I come up with...
  • Rescuing this thread as I played Fiasco again recently and want to see more playsets getting created! (I've already done two)

I'd like to see a Katrina-era New Orleans playset. Combine the crumbling-creole style of the city with the f**ked up stuff that happened in and around the hurricane.

Locations>Lower 9th (Underwater)>Fats Domino's house
  • A Warren Zevon playset would be just the fucking thing.
  • edited July 2010
    Companion thread over at rpg.net. Post Katrina Nola would be fantastic. I'd set the point of attack real early.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarCompanion threadover at rpg.net. Post Katrina Nola would be fantastic. I'd set the point of attack real early.
    Damn. I was noodling the idea of a DC Metro/K Street playset (at your suggestion, back in the day), but post-Katrina Nola immediately after the storm is an awesome idea.
  • Posted By: GrahamI am Fiasco and so can you.
    For the back cover of the collected playsets.
  • Posted By: Caesar_XI'd like to see a Katrina-era New Orleans playset. Combine the crumbling-creole style of the city with the f**ked up stuff that happened in and around the hurricane.
    We did this the very first time we played, with A Nice Southern Town. It fell out of "To get rich... by taking advantage of an old person." It was excellent. That said, "The Lower 9th (Underwater)" is kickass.
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerPlease consider a Munchkin-ish set. I suddenly want to run that as a con pick up game this summer.
    Scott, I have put together a set that is all about player versus player hijinks in dungeon crawls. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but if you want to take a look whisper me your email and I'll send you the draft.
  • Would really like to see a Blue Collar or White Collar playset.

I hope the push doesn't come to simply create traditional roleplaying fantasy/sci-fi settings as playsets. One of the joys of Fiasco is the way a more mundane or unusual setting can become the focus of a totally absorbing debacle, tragedy or farce.

Here's hoping for a continuation of the unusual and mundane playsets rather than Star Wars, D n D, WoD 'conversions'.
  • I'm fiddling around with a Jane Austen playset. "Object: Lock of Hair" and "Relationship: Secretly Engaged" and all that. I've always wanted to watch the Bennett sisters become completely unglued.
  • Will Hindmarch peeked down the garden path a bit with his All the Damn Time playset, but I'm keen for a full on Philip K. Dick mindfuck set, with relationships like "secret clone" and "interacting multiple personalities" and needs like "determine which memories are real and which are implants".

I'll put my head to writing it once I've played a few times.
  • I'm working on a Dr Strangelove inspired set. It's set at Loring AFB Maine, during the Coldwar.

My father was a B-52 Pilot, I lived on Loring in the mid, 80s.

For stories where things go wrong, it's perfect. You got long winters, it's out of the way, and Nuclear Weapons..
  • Posted By: PnickWould really like to see a Blue Collar or White Collar playset.

I hope the push doesn't come to simply create traditional roleplaying fantasy/sci-fi settings as playsets. One of the joys of Fiasco is the way a more mundane or unusual setting can become the focus of a totally absorbing debacle, tragedy or farce.

Here's hoping for a continuation of the unusual and mundane playsets rather than Star Wars, D n D, WoD 'conversions'.
    The best way to "push" for your favorite type of playsets is simply to create one! It's really not very difficult. Certainly easier than writing an adventure for many games.

Both of my playsets took only a few hours to structure them. I leaned heavily on the relationships from other playsets, and then slowly started adding in Locations, Weapons, etc. that seemed to fit the theme. This is true "lunch hour" game design.

Google Docs or Excel work great for brainstorming and organizing playsets.

Forget all the fancy artwork and layout. I would challenge everyone with great ideas for playsets to just create some content you think is cool and that will add to the play experience. And PLAY it with your friends.

That's what I did.
  • Posted By: Caesar_XPosted By: ccreitzI'd like to see a playset geared toward white-collar crime -Bonfire of the Vanities, say.
    Oh man, great idea! After Wall Street Roach was such a hit last year, I bet it would transfer well to Fiasco.

Colin, write this up and bring it to 'A Night of Fiasco' so we can play it!
  • edited August 2010
    Let's trade, Chris. Send me the Wall Street Roach stuff, and I will do White Collar. I have a first pass on the Relationships and Needs that I'm pretty happy with, already done.

Inspirations: Enron, Bonfire of the Vanities, Ugly Americans, Liar's Poker + The Big Short, #firstworldproblems. Anything else people want to see in there?
  • Someone, here or on RPGnet, was talking about a playset that pitted supervillains against each other. Does this exist? I've got a player from my Fiasco game this week who is eager to play that set, and I'm not sure that I'm the one to write it.

(Maybe I'll write more, down the line, about why I think more focused sets are the way to go, and why P.K. Dick-style mindfucks are probably too broad for a single set. There are some totally rad sets to be cut from that cloth, though, no doubt. Either way, maybe I'll give it a shot in a couple of weeks if somebody doesn't beat me to it.)
  • Posted By: Will HindmarchMaybe I'll write more, down the line, about why I think more focused sets are the way to go, and why P.K. Dick-style mindfucks are probably too broad for a single set.
    Oh, you're totally right. The mindfuckery to be gained from, say, "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said" would be very different than those garnered from "A Scanner Darkly", but both would make utterly amazing Fiasco playsets.
  • I'm really hoping for more slice of life playsets. Somebody on rpg.net joked about a "housewives in cold war Warsaw" set, and that sounds really great to me.
  • edited August 2010
    I cranked out about 1/2 of a new playset this afternoon in 2 hours. Planning on filling in the rest of it in bits-n-pieces during the work week.

UPDATE: Spent more time on a lazy Sunday and am 95% done:)

Bringing it to the South Bay Story Games Day to playtest!

Fiasco is such a fun game to create for.

What is everyone else working on right now?
  • Am really wanting a "Tropic Thunder" set, about a disastrous attempt to make a movie.

Matt
  • Oooohhh, a filmmaking fiasco... Damn, that'd be a good one.
  • I was struck today that an office politics/big company bureaucracy set (e.g. Officespace, The Office) would be a pretty fantastic one. Give me time to finish off some other projects and I'll write it, but I figured I might as well throw the idea out in case someone else wants to run with it.

I also had the ludicrous but strangely compelling idea of taking the Dr Strangelove-style cold war nuclear madness fiasco set, and running that as a prequel to an Apocalypse World game.
  • One of the topics in the Fiasco Companion will be using the game to build an initial situation for another game. We're going to do that with a PTA game, starting this week, actually!

I think it'd work great for a lot of games that demand a highly-charged and complex initial situation, like Shadowrun.