[Misspent Youth] Call for torrent seeders

Hey folks,

I'm going to be seeding the Misspent Youth: Eyebleeding Edition (available for you at that link) on torrent networks, and everything is in place. I need 6 to 10 people who are willing to share the torrent file with the world. Let me know here or wherever.

Comments

• May I say, Rob, that you kick some serious ass?

Count me in for a couple of world-wide seeding stations.
  • I'm in for seeding this file also. I'll be more than happy to seed it as long as you want me to.
  • edited August 2010
    I'll seed it when I get home tonight. Where can I get the torrent file?
  • I am available for seeding.
  • edited August 2010
    Feel free to whisper me your email address so I can add you to the dropbox.
  • Huzzah, I am indeed one of the seeders at this point. No takers yet, but still.
  • Can you give us a link to the torrent Rob? That is, the URL of the place with the torrent details? That's the easiest way for us to all start sharing.

Sebastian.
  • Rob, I would include a picture of your book. maybe even you. I'm guessing that the idea is to make people aware of your game, and very gently push them to buying it.

So somehow you gotta make the game more then just a pdf.
  • edited August 2010
    Here is the tracker: Click on this and support the sharing revolution (this is the direct link to the torrent).
  • Make sure you put it up on demonoid. Demonoid is a private tracker, but the roleplaying crowd ratio is way up.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: northerainMake sure you put it up on demonoid. Demonoid is a private tracker, but the roleplaying crowd ratio is way up.
    This is a bit odd. Isohunt says it's on Demonoid, but I can't find it there.

EDIT: Torrent deleted or not in pool yet. Hmmm... interesting.
  • It seems to work for me, downloading from isohunt.
  • Posted By: northerainIt seems to work for me, downloading from isohunt.
    Oh no, I can download it from isohunt, it's being DHTd and it seems to also be indexed on bt.csze.com, which I've never even heard of, so it can be downloaded from that link.

I'm just wondering why it been either deleted on demonoid or why it wouldn't be in the pool, yet.
  • edited August 2010
    With the difficulties, I also put it on thepiratebay: Misspent Youth: Eyebleeding Edition.

The file I got was 44mb, the one from isohunt is 33mb -- what's up with that? Different versions?

I've tried to edit the torrent to unbørk the apostrophes, but, it's erroring. Will try again later.

EDIT: ... and it was removed and my account banned. Awesome. Trying to find out why.
  • I put it up on Demonoid, and it was subsequently deleted by the moderators within a half hour of me posting it. Weird.
  • Mine was deleted faster than yours, neener ... wait, what?
  • It's already submitted, that's probably why. Who knows though...
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: northerainIt's already submitted, that's probably why. Who knows though...
    Well, if that was the case, it would come up in the listings and it doesn't, except for an ashcan version from last year. Dunno.

You can have all the seeds in the world you want, but if it's not listed anyplace, then no one knows to download it. I spent a fair amount of time creating a unique listing and seed on Demonoid -- twice, even -- only to see them deleted.

Frustrating. And since Rob's advertising the same eye-bleeding edition copy on his website for free, via direct download, it's perhaps pointless to keep pushing to try and torrent it -- maybe the piratz are suspicious, thinking it's a trojan horse... who'd give away their game for free? :)
  • Before I got Rob's official torrents, I also created a torrent of the eye bleeding edition he's got for direct download from his site. I uploaded it to BTJunkie.org, and the listing is now active; in fact my ratio is up past 5.6. So people are finding that one. The official torrent, however, is sitting at a ratio of 1.01; so fewer peeps are finding it.

I too was a little confused by the difference in file size between the EBEdition on Rob's site and the file that was packaged in his official torrent. But since he's giving the larger pdf away on his site, I assumed having it torrented also wouldn't be a problem.

As for why to push torrents and still have it available for direct download... I'm assuming that he's putting it up for download now until the torrents take hold. Once they do, he can leverage them to reduce his website's bandwidth use, and server space usage too for that matter were he to take down the direct download.
  • Apparently the torrent deletion issue on Demonoid is a bug: http://fora.demonoid.com/index.php?topic=136534.0
  • I'm seeding, but the demonoid tracker is still reporting the torrent's not there yet.

Demonoid is *the* tracker for RPG stuff, so as soon as that bug gets resolved, I think it'll be a good place to have it.
  • Talking about Demonoid... I've not been fortunate enough to get registered on the rare occasions that they have open registrations. I don't suppose anyone's got an invite code they want to give me?
  • There's a discussion on the RPG Haven board about copyright and torrenting that cropped up around this. (PS: if you go there, please don't be mean; I think we're having a really good conversation.) The part I like is this bit:

Guy who doesn't like The Forge but understands how copyright works:

"This ignorant attitude about free product frustrates me, because it's irritatingly common in the RPG sphere for some reason I can't puzzle out, and usually comes with a raft of little more than paranoia and elitism to support it. It's not the first time I've come across it, and it's frankly given me little hope of ever seeing a more DIY atmosphere spread outside of a handful of circle-jerking Forgers."

Me:

As a crusty-knuckled member of the circle jerk, I agree with you.

--

And I think that that's weird, and it's true. Why is this?
  • Going to respond to a bunch of stuff that came up while I was minimally-internetty at 5PiCon this weekend.
    Posted By: wombletonThe file I got was 44mb, the one from isohunt is 33mb -- what's up with that? Different versions?
    I'm really not sure. If you want to send me both versions I can try to see what the difference is. But, Leo is correct: The version on my site is fine to torrent on your own if you want, if you just make it clear that it's by my consent and have a link to the site.
    Posted By: Tom CFrustrating. And since Rob's advertising the same eye-bleeding edition copy on his website for free, via direct download, it's perhaps pointless to keep pushing to try and torrent it -- maybe the piratz are suspicious, thinking it's a trojan horse... who'd give away their game for free? :)
    I have some text both in the downloadable file and in the metadata for the torrent file that makes it pretty clear I'm down with this being torrented. And there is a group of RPG torrenters who I suspect might appreciate this method of distribution. I mean, that's pretty obvious, right?
    Posted By: 14thWarriorBefore I got Rob's official torrents, I also created a torrent of the eye bleeding edition he's got for direct download from his site. I uploaded it to BTJunkie.org, and the listing is now active; in fact my ratio is up past 5.6. So people are finding that one. The official torrent, however, is sitting at a ratio of 1.01; so fewer peeps are finding it.
    Thanks! Is there anything indicating I'm cool with this in the torrent file or whatever?

As far as this demonoid bug, I followed the link provided but I couldn't see anything there. Does anyone know what's up with that? I'll email the person who helped get me this kicked off.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: Robert BohlThanks! Is there anything indicating I'm cool with this in the torrent file or whatever?
    Having not made very many torrents in the past, I forgot to put a informational text file in the torrent; but I've thrown up a comment on the torrent's listing page at BTJunkie to indicate that it is a sanctioned release and that screen friendly PDFs and hardcopies are available at the game's website (along with the url).
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: Tom CFrustrating. And since Rob's advertising the same eye-bleeding edition copy on his website for free, via direct download, it's perhaps pointless to keep pushing to try and torrent it -- maybe the piratz are suspicious, thinking it's a trojan horse... who'd give away their game for free? :)
    Posted By: Robert BohlI have some text both in the downloadable file and in the metadata for the torrent file that makes it pretty clear I'm down with this being torrented. And there is a group of RPG torrenters who I suspect might appreciate this method of distribution. I mean, that's pretty obvious, right?
    Yes, absolutely obvious. Crystal clear, even. I did look at the file before attempting to seed it -- I definitely *got* what you were trying to do.

My point, obscure/misguided/and maybe even whiney admittedly, was that it was personally frustrating for me to try and list the torrent at Demonoid (a very active RPG torrenting community there) several times, only to have it deleted, either intentionally by the moderators for whatever reason, or due to a bug that they've apparently known about for months but have yet to address.

Until I received more information about where it was being listed on various torrent sites (such as BTJunkie.org), or whether the seeds were in fact being widely disseminated, I speculated as to whether this was worthwhile, given the more direct availability (albeit, without the "marketing" of a listing on a torrent site) at your website. Seeds without listings are useless -- it wasn't clear to me where else it was being listed, given the inclusion of the Demonoid tracker textfile, added to the confusion of the absence of any listing of it on Demonoid itself.

But now, we know, that there is a listed seed at BTJunkie.org -- and maybe someone with more patience than me can get it listed at Demonoid, assuming that their listing is not repeatedly deleted.

In the future, it might simply be easier to disseminate the URLs of the various seeds started, as opposed to multiple peeps seeding on their own without knowing what everyone else is doing. Not that this is necessarily going to be standard practice for your future releases, of course. ;)

That's it, that's all. Certainly not questioning your intent of the plan in any way.

Carry on. :)
  • AikAik
    edited August 2010
    I've uploaded to Demonoid and it's survived so far and has been added to the pool.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2357785/?rel=1282613750

Not sure if you can directly download without being a member, but here's the .torrent: http://www.demonoid.com/files/download/2357785/25182090 or http://www.mediafire.com/?j6bol4v3a1jlb2k
    You should be able to seed/download that without being a member.

It's the same file as the Isohunt one, so to seed just put it in a folder called 'Misspent Youth' where ever your downloads happen. I won't be able to seed it much myself due to lolworthy Australian internet.
  • edited August 2010
    Posted By: AikI've uploaded to Demonoid and it's survived so far and has been added to the pool.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2357785/?rel=1282613750

Not sure if you can directly download without being a member, but here's the .torrent:http://www.demonoid.com/files/download/2357785/25182090orhttp://www.mediafire.com/?j6bol4v3a1jlb2k
    />You should be able to seed/download that without being a member.

It's the same file as the Isohunt one, so to seed just put it in a folder called 'Misspent Youth' where ever your downloads happen. I won't be able to seed it much myself due to lolworthy Australian internet.
    Excellent -- thank you. I'll get it seeding as well.
  • Downloading as we speak, should start seeding within the hour.
  • Posted By: Robert Bohl
    I'm really not sure. If you want to send me both versions I can try to see what the difference is. But, Leo is correct: The version on my site is fine to torrent on your own if you want, if you just make it clear that it's by my consent and have a link to the site.
    Yeah, I quoted the first page and the Introduction.

It appears that thepiratebay's software is on fire, which was why my account got banned. I suspect that they are under attack, actually. I'll seed the demonoid one rather than hope that thepiratebay will fix this issue which has been going on for months now.
  • Depending on how you interpret these things: the seed on Demonoid has resulted in 135 actual file downloads, with 175 torrent downloads. My server alone has moved 1 GB of Misspent Youth torrent'y goodness.

Some comments from downloaders:

"This looks pretty sweet. Wish there was a purchasable PDF! Guess I'll wait for the bundling offer"

"Okay, Cory L. Doctorow was right. An author's greatest enemy isn't piracy, it's obscurity. As soon as I get paid I'll buy a copy of this game, print and pdf, just because a) I hadn't heard of it before, but now I like what I've skimmed of it so far, b) the designer is smart enough to know the gaming community and exactly what happens to most games and beat us all to it , and c) somebody smart enough to pirate his own stuff for the publicity deserves to get paid. And printing *this* version would be a total pain!!!! :)"

"It's a beautiful book. Definitely one to get a physical copy of."

Interesting data points, I think.
  • I have gotten almost no downloads, but glad to be hosting it none the less.
  • Seeding/distributing right now.
  • Rob, I think you should also have the torrent file available for download from the official site (the way many Linux or FreeBSD distros do, for example). This way, people who get to your site by any other means -- their intention be to buy the book or just to download the eyebleeder -- will know they can also help you spread the word by hosting the file for torrenting.
  • Tom: I hope I didn't come across as defensive in my post. I'll be happy to take your advice in the future (genuinely) should I do this. I'm still not sure how this all happened and I'm not a complete technological novice. I'm also overjoyed at the quotes you're sharing. If you can let them know how glad I am without it being weird, that would be great. (Also, there will be a separately-purchasable PDF.)

Aik, thanks for getting Demonoid squared away (apparently).

So Rafu, would that be the file I sent seeders, or the links provided here, or what?
  • Seeding/distributing right now
  • Posted By: Robert BohlTom: I hope I didn't come across as defensive in my post. I'll be happy to take your advice in the future (genuinely) should I do this. I'm still not sure how this all happened and I'm not a complete technological novice. I'm also overjoyed at the quotes you're sharing. If you can let them know how glad I am without it being weird, that would be great. (Also, there will be a separately-purchasable PDF.)
    No worries, dude. I'm hyper-sensitive this week, likely due to stress and having too many plates spinning in the air, and I should have checked my frustration at the door. I'm just glad to see the sucker take off on Demonoid. :)
  • It would be the .torrent file used to track the torrent, duh. °_°

Or maybe I'm too much of a n00b in torrenting, and that's why I don't get your question? ^_^;
  • No, I'm just profoundly dumb.

As soon as I can work on my site this is on the list to do. Thanks.
  • As of today, 214 downloads on Demonoid. Not too shabby.