inquiry: name recognition of obscure indie RPGs

2»

Comments

• I don't know what Paul's doing with it, but personally I find it quite interesting to compare responses here vs other forums that he's asking the question on.

(Mostly in terms of how many people use what language to ask him "what are you doing"/tell him "this isn't useful"/"you're asking the wrong thing despite the fact I don't know why you're asking")

Anyway, may answer is the same regardless of forum:

I know:

Crime and Punishment
    The Farm
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    There Is No Spoon
    Zenobia

I do not know Awesome Women Kicking Ass, but I'd like to find out.

(Haha on me! When I looked it up I realized I did know Awesome Women Kicking Ass, I just hadn't thought about it in so long I'd forgotten.)
  • edited October 2010
    Posted By: Paul Czege
    Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    Escape From Tentacle City
    The Farm
    Inuma
    Mridingam
    The Niche Engine
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
    The above.
    Possibly also Rock of Tahmaat and There Is No Spoon - I've definitely heard of them and about them.

From the list that I'm sure about...
    I have talked to the designers about 3 of them, and learned about them that way.
    Of those 3, I have played one, been pitched one at Gencon, and just talked about the other.

The rest, I have found out about via internet discussions and competitions.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, wait, I remember who wrote Awesome Women Kicking Ass.
  • Escape From Tentacle City
    The Farm
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    There Is No Spoon
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
    The Farm
    Inuma
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
  • edited October 2010
    There Is No Spoon

Even this is better than I expected. Not because I haven't heard of any of the other games, (although many of them I haven't), but because I'm terrible at remembering people's names. (And looking it up afterward, I'm annoyed couldn't remember the author of Lashings of Ginger Beer, as I have other games by them.)
  • Crime and Punishment

I've heard about some of the others but don't remember who designed them. This one was probably started during a Game Chef I participated in (maybe even won that year?), that's why I remember.
  • Posted By: Brand_RobinsI don't know what Paul's doing with it, but personally I find it quite interesting to compare responses here vs other forums that he's asking the question on.

(Mostly in terms of how many people use what language to ask him "what are you doing"
    I'm actually kinda hoping that the answer to "what are you doing" is going to be revealed at some point, because I am wondering about it and I'd like to think that this is more than just an obscure games trivia challenge.
  • edited October 2010
    I know:

The Farm
    Inuma
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
    The Niche Engine
    Rock of Tahamaat
    There Is No Spoon
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
    Zenobia

I've only played one of them though I own two in paper format. I'm not indier than thou.

Perhaps we might see things like Patient 13, StarDrakkar or Final Frontier (or other non-English games) appearing in such lists one day. Two of these are in print as opposed to the majority in the list above many of which appear only as also-rans in obscure design competitions ;-).
  • I can name the designers of:
    The Farm
    TINS

I know of Lashings of Ginger Beer because of a certain fondness for the genre, but I couldn't tell you who wrote it.

The other games, I couldn't even tell you what they were about.
  • Chris - nice! Was that the first search you did? I confess to thinking it would be harder than it was (I found it by googling for the wrong designer's name!). Thus, I stand corrected.
  • I´m pretty sure I know these, but probably at least one will turn out to be wrong:

Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    Escape from Tentacle City
    The Farm
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
  • "Posted By: Brand_Robins

I don't know what Paul's doing with it, but personally I find it quite interesting to compare responses here vs other forums that he's asking the question on.

(Mostly in terms of how many people use what language to ask him "what are you doing""

"Posted By: Accounting for Taste

I'm actually kinda hoping that the answer to "what are you doing" is going to be revealed at some point, because I am wondering about it and I'd like to think that this is more than just an obscure games trivia challenge."

I asked Paul on RPG.net, and he said he would reveal all when the threads ran their course.
  • I recognise the names of a lot of them, but considering I can't reliably remember the name of the authors of famous games like Mouse Guard, Spirit of the Century or even D&D without looking at the cover, my chances of being able to name their authors are slim. I care more about the games than who wrote them.
  • Pretty Certain:

Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
    Zenobia

Kind of Certain:

The Farm
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
    The Niche Engine
    The Farm
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
  • Posted By: DestriarchI recognise the names of a lot of them, but considering I can't reliably remember the name of the authors of famous games like Mouse Guard, Spirit of the Century or even D&D without looking at the cover, my chances of being able to name their authors are slim. I care more about the games than who wrote them.
    This made me laugh at myself. I need my own category: "Games you own, have read cover-to-cover AND played recently for which you can't name the designer:"

Summerland
    Diaspora (a full campaign)

So much for the cult of the designer.
  • Posted By: jenskotI only know 2 for sure...

- The Farm: because I'm friends with the designer and only know about it because they mentioned it to me a few weeks ago
    - Inuma: because I randomly played with the designer at a convention

I've heard of these 2 but I can't quite place them...

- Awesome Women Kicking Ass
    - Crime and Punishment

So if you discounted games I only know because I met the designer, then I wouldn't know any of these for sure! And I spend a lot of time reading and playing different RPGs with many different people. And I love indie games :-(
    I should note that beyond knowing the designers for:

The Farm
    Inuma

And vaguely hearing about (but not knowing the designers names) for:

Awesome Women Kicking Ass
    Crime and Punishment

Not only don't I know the designer's names but I've never even heard of these games:

A+ Fantasy
    Among the Beautiful Creatures
    Clover
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
    Mridingam
    The Niche Engine
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Specimen for the Resurrection
    There Is No Spoon
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
    Zenobia
  • The Farm
    Mridangam
    The Niche Engine
    Rock of Tahamaat
    There Is No Spoon
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
    Zenobia
  • Posted By: nemomemeSo much for the cult of the designer.
    To be fair, I don't count myself as typical of the market audience. I hate the whole concept of the cult of celebrity, and I don't remember anyone's name well. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

-Ash
  • Awesome Women Kicking Ass
    Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    The Farm
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
  • Ones I know:
    The Farm
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Thy Vernal Chieftains
    Zenobia

Ones I used to know but can't remember:
    Crime and Punishment
    There Is No Spoon
  • A+ Fantasy
    Awesome Women Kicking Ass Sounds familiar. Can't name the designer.
    Clover
    Crime and Punishment Isn't this a TV show?
    The Farm I'll probably remember once it's revealed. This was a contest game, wasn't it?
    Inuma
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
    Mridingam I used to know. Maybe I still know. Uncertain.
    The Niche Engine
    Rock of Tahamaat It's bizarre that everyone's like "I know this one" when I've never even heard of it.
    There Is No Spoon
    Thy Vernal Chieftains I accused the author of cheating. Mostly it was sour grapes, though.
    Zenobia Sounds familiar.
  • Let's see...

Clover (but then I have a cameo in it)
    The Farm
    Mridingam

I know of There Is No Spoon and Lashings of Ginger Beer, but don't know the designers' names.
  • None of 'em.
  • edited October 2010
    Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    The Farm
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat

And there are others here I should have known!
  • 10 of which I was totally sure of, and 6 where I had no clue.

The six I had no idea of were:

A+ Fantasy
    Inuma
    Mridingam
  • Clover
    The Farm
    Rock of Tahamaat
    There Is No Spoon
    Thy Vernal Chieftains

Seth Ben-Ezra
    Great Wolf
  • Revisiting my list:

Clover:

Know because I saw a Forge thread, started either by Ron or by the game's designer, can't remember which. Contacted the designer and got a copy.

Escape from Tentacle City:

Know because I was in the same Game Chef with this designer. The game particularly impressed me.

Rock of Tahamaat:

Know because I follow the designer's blog and remember when they first posted about the game.

Thy Vernal Chieftans:

Heard the name dropped a couple of times around the Forge, finally spotted the game on the designer's website and bought a copy.

So 1 1/2 for the Forge, 1 for Game Chef, 1 1/2 for personal websites!
  • Posted By: Brand_Robinsbut personally I find it quite interesting to compare responses here vs other forums that he's asking the question on.
    What forums has he asked it on? I saw it on RPG.net. Others as well?
  • Posted By: fnord3125What forums has he asked it on? I saw it on RPG.net. Others as well?
    Just here and RPG.net. Though I am curious if there'd be a higher incidence of recognition for Lashings of Ginger Beer on OSR forums.

Paul
  • I was hoping maybe you'd posted it to the rpgsite.

Also, I just tried to double check one of my answers, and I think I discovered a misspelling. I believe the game is Mridangam not Mridingam.
  • Posted By: fnord3125I believe the game isMridangamnot Mridingam.
    Crud. Fixing it.
  • Clover - didn't remember at first, then remembered after reading this thread for some reason
    Crime and Punishment - yes
    Escape From Tentacle City - yes
    The Farm - yes
    Mridangam - can guess, but not sure
    The Niche Engine - yes
    Rock of Tahamaat - yes
    Thy Vernal Chieftains - yes
  • I know who wrote:

The Farm
    Mridangam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    There Is No Spoon

I have read but don't remember who wrote:

Crime and Punishment
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
  • Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    The Farm
    Inuma
    Mridingam
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Thy Vernal Chieftains

Shorter than many others' lists, but already I'm feeling like a trainspotter.
  • IsoIso
    edited October 2010
    Crime and Punishment
    Mridangam
    Rock of Tahamaat

Thought I might kinda-sorta remember the designer of Awesome Women Kicking Ass, but was wrong when I checked. I did have an "oh yeah, now I remember that designer" moment, though.
    Posted By: Ice Cream EmperorFor some reason I feel somewhat dated, now.
    Me too.
  • Among the Beautiful Creatures
    Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    The Farm
    Inuma
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
    Mridangam
    The Niche Engine
    Rock of Tahamaat
    There Is No Spoon
    Thy Vernal Chieftains

I know of Zenobia but can't remember who wrote it.
  • edited October 2010
    I know who designed:
      Clover - because Ron Edwards wrote some AP on the Forge
      Escape From Tentacle City - because Ron Edwards wrote some AP on the Forge
      Rock of Tahamaat - because I followed an S-G link claiming a theory demo (which is, in fact, what the designer posted it as, on his blog)
      Thy Vernal Chieftains - because I competed against it in a contest at S-G
    I also recognize the name "Awesome Women Kicking Ass", I think from a contest I participated in - Game Chef '08? I don't remember the designer for sure.

"Crime and Punishment" and "Inuma" faintly ring a bell, like maybe I saw those names in an S-G thread title.

The rest, I've never heard of, at all.
  • I am aware of:

There Is No Spoon

as games, but I can't remember the designers' names. Not today, anyhow.

Mridangam looks familiar, but I can't place it.

That's all...
  • edited October 2010
    Paul, how did Zenobia make the list. Unless I'm mistaken its older by far than any of the other titles you've listed. It may even come close to pre-dating the Forge.

For the record...Zenobia is so much coolness you all should go snag it. In fact...seeing the name again has me itching to run it.

Zenobia...actual queen of an actual city on the border between Rome and Parthian Sassanid Persia. Widow of a king who dared defy both empires to keep his city independent. Pretty much The Scorpion King the RPG (fast fowarded a few centuries).
  • Zenobia is indeed cool. That was one of the ones I'd read but didn't know the author's name. I ran across it years ago and read in part due to an assumed connection with Conan. Never have gotten to play it though...
  • Posted By: wundergeekAwesome Women Kicking Ass
    The art on this game was even better than the design and writing!
  • I am sure about the designer of these:

Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    The Farm
    Inuma
    Rock of Tahamaat
    Thy Vernal Chieftains

I sort-of-know these three games below (never played them), but I don't remember the designer:

The Niche Engine
    There Is No Spoon
    Zenobia
  • Titles I don't connect with games:

A+ Fantasy
    Clover
    Crime and Punishment
    The Farm
    Inuma
    Lashings of Ginger Beer
    Mridangam