[Dreamation] Planning Accomodation and Rides

RyRy
edited December 2010 in Meetups / Conventions
Hey everybody,

So I figured I'd start a thread for Dreamation planning.

Comments

• I'm going to Dreamation. I need to share a room, preferably at the Hyatt. Any takers? :)
  • I need to find a ride from Toronto (but I have bad allergies so I can't share a cat-haver or dog-lover's car) - once I do that I'd be into splitting accomodation costs at the Hyatt.
  • I'll almost certainly be Rob Bohl, Emily Care Boss, Epidiah Ravichol, and me. I'll bet we can take one or two more people to reduce costs.

Last year, a paypment screwup on the part of the hotel got everyone in my room a free stay! It was sweet. But we can't count on that happening every year. Does anyone know what the room prices are?

• Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanLast year, a paypment screwup on the part of the hotel got everyone in my room a free stay! It was sweet. But we can't count on that happening every year. Does anyone know what the room prices are?
    From the Dreamation 2011 site:

Rooms can be reserved at the Morristown Hyatt for $115.00/night (flat rate) by calling their main number (973-647-1234) 9-5 weekdays. Be sure to mention DREAMATION 2011 and/or Double Exposure to get the event rates!
  • I will be there for sure. Don't know which days yet.

I've been gaming so much lately I'm less excited to play and more interested in seeing old friends.
  • I should be there too. Though unlike Mr. Anti-Fun Jenskot, I am excited to play.
  • I will destroy your fun!
  • Joshua, want another body in the room? I stayed with Eppy and Emily at GenCon, so they can vouch for me. :D
  • I think so! I'll start an email pile. We'll see if we can figure out what we're actually doing.

• We're not interested in sharing a room (sending the kid to Camp Grandma, weeeee!) But are driving up from the DC area (well, Maryland) if anyone needs a ride.

What time should we be planning to get in on Thursday?
  • I should also mention that there's going to be no free IGE room this time.
  • I am looking to grab a ride from the DMV..

I'd share gas costs. I just really hate driving alone.
  • Fellow WMA-heads: Turns out there's a Megabus to the Hampshire Mall now, which makes the round-trip bus ride to the City way cheap (like 10-20 bucks). You can then take the NJ Transit to Morristown.
  • Posted By: DanielSolisJoshua, want another body in the room? I stayed with Eppy and Emily at GenCon, so they can vouch for me. :D
    Vouched! Daniel is an exemplary room mate.

I wish I was going but have too much going on. I think Eppy will be there though.
  • Well, Daniel, I hope you're OK with sleeping with Eppy.

• Eppy is a gentle and generous roommate.
  • Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanWell, Daniel, I hope you're OK with sleeping with Eppy.
    Damn, I was hoping to..

Nick
  • Is there an airport besides Newark that would get me onto the NJ Transit system?
  • It's about 2.5 hours from JFK...

1. Take Air Train from JFK to Jamaica Station (Sutphin Boulevard) - 20 minutes
    2A. Take Long Island Rail Road towards Penn Station to Penn Station - 30 minutes
    2B. Alternatively in place of the Long Island Rail Road above, take the E subway towards WOLD TRADE CENTER to 34th Street / Penn Station - 45 minutes
    3. Take NJ Transit, Morris & Essex Line Train towards Dover to Morristown - 70 minutes
    4. Walk 12 minutes to Hyatt Morristown, 3 Speedwell Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960

It's also about 2.5-3 hours from LGA...

1. Take Q72 Bus towards Rego Park / Junction Blvd / Queens Blvd to Junction Blvd / Roosevelt Ave - 20 minutes
    2. Take the 7 subway towards TIMES SQUARE to Times Square - 42 St - 30 minutes
    3. Take the 1 subway towards SOUTH FERRY TERMINAL to 34th Street / Penn Station - 42 St - 5 minutes
    4. Take NJ Transit, Morris & Essex Line Train towards Dover to Morristown - 70 minutes
    5. Walk 12 minutes to Hyatt Morristown, 3 Speedwell Avenue, Morristown, NJ 07960

All of the above depends on transfers and double check with the MTA (www.mta.info) in case there are any train changes.
  • Hey, Ryan:

Dave (Berg) has been trying to convince me to come to Dreamation. I don't own a car, though. Still, we can try to coordinate, if you're interested!

Cheap bus or a Porter flight to Newark might be good choices (maybe better than a car, even, since it's theoretically possible to get some sleep on the way).

I'm also allergic to cats (though not as badly as you are).
  • edited January 2011
    I'm still on the fence about going. On one hand, it's a lot of money I don't have, and I don't want to have a lot of standing commitments when I feel *thisclose* to finally getting a job, especially since I'm looking at some things that would require me to work weekends. On the other hand, fun gaming and people I haven't seen in ages.

I would be much more likely to come if I knew I had a room and a ride from greater DC (these can be separate people), so now's people's chance to sway me.
  • Anyone else looking for accommodations? Joshua and I might end up a little* lonely and horny without you.

* A little more than we normally are.