Apocalypse Galactica

edited October 2011 in Story Games
First, has it already been done? Should I be looking somewhere else to steal someone else's work?

Second, if not, here's the google doc I'm working off of: BSG Playbooks

In brief here are my ideas.

Weird = Faith. Open your brain = Leap of Faith (better name would be good). This includes Believing in the Lords of Cobol, The One True God, Laura's Visions of snakes, etc, Lee's near death experience, all of Starbucks crazy stuff, Caprica 6 and Baltar as Angels/Visions.

Revealing your self as an Cylon will be an Experience Move (Reveal as a Cylon and take a Cylon Move)

Some political characters (Cylon and Human) will have moves that affect threat countdowns on different Fronts.

Playbook Ideas (base books in mind)

Military

Commander as Hardholder
CAG as Chopper
Pilot as Driver/Battlebabe
Engineer as Savvyhead based off Sharp

Civilian

Politician as Operator
Doctor as Angel
Priest as a mix of Hocus/Touchstone/Savvyhead (not really sure about this figure, but it's a Messiah Baltar, a John Caval (pre-reveal) and Elosha concept)
Public Figure as I'm not sure yet (Journalist D’anna Biers (pre-reveal), and Lawyer Romo Lampkin)

Comments

• Possibly replacing Barter with Political Favor. It's something the Politician (as operator) can curry through Motions (as gigs). The Public Figure will have some access to it as well, and possibly some special ways to use it as part of their moves (like an angel spending stock).
  • Rob Bohl was working on something similar over here: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?board=15.0
  • Cool, looks like he's tackling it more from a "Lets make a game" perspective than just re-skinning (which is what I'm doing). I'm sure he's going to have some great stuff in there, but I'm looking for a simpler hack. I'm running in in less that two weeks, so I gotta have something quick.
  • Moves for a CAG. Pack Alpha -> Squad Leader. Fucking Theives doesn't work though. What other moves does the CAG have?
  • CAGs probably get Hard Deployment: an ability to resist being seduced or manipulated when they're making the hard decisions about who to send on missions.
  • Some sort of riff on the Touchstone's Towering Presence?

"Stop trying to manipulate me and just fly the frakking mission, solider!"
  • edited October 2011
    Posted By: Sean NittnerMoves for a CAG. Pack Alpha -> Squad Leader. Fucking Theives doesn't work though. What other moves does the CAG have?
    Fucking Thieves could just be reskinned as 'Be Prepared' or something. The idea that the Colonial Marines have access to pretty much whatever the CO might need, and/or the willingness to requisition it as needed makes sense.

Or, you could have the Chopper Reskinned as Tom Zarek, in which case some of them WOULD be fucking thieves.

-JC
  • edited October 2011
    Posted By: Sean NittnerPossibly replacing Barter with Political Favor.
    Why not just Favor?
  • Advice: set permissions for the G-document to "comment", it can help when you have an idea for just this one piece, easier to find.

Basics: with playbooks, it feels more like classes, then it, AFAIK, needs to. AW had this "un-classed" way, because playbooks deliberately were very much away from "how" somebody does things(like fighter kills stuff by melee and ranger kills stuff by bow) towards "what" somebody in fact does(hardholder cares about hold, more or less, battlebabe has skills to do what needs to be done, and kill in process if needed, brainer scans people, angel heals them). Same thing, I don't get why you need separate CAG and Pilot (though I can see something possibly from Harper's Regiment) or who exactly could be "Engineer" besides Tyrol and his girl.

I like the idea of tying enter into Cylon ranks as exp advance, but I'd like more. How you get this or it gets to you.
    political favors are rad.
  • edited November 2011
    Posted By: Steve HickeyCAGs probably get Hard Deployment: an ability to resist being seduced or manipulated when they're making the hard decisions about who to send on missions.
    I'm down with resistance to seduction, but I'm not a fan of passive moves. What about, when they Help or Hinder someone affecting them, they can give +2 (Help) or -3 (Interfere)? Hmm. that still sound a little to specific, but I'd like to frame it as a move they do, rather than resistance to another move. Thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    Posted By: Jim CrockerOr, you could have the Chopper Reskinned as Tom Zarek, in which case some of them WOULD be fucking thieves.

-JC
    Heh, awesome. Yeah, by the end the CAG looks nothing like the Chopper. He doesn't even have his own gang (neither does the commander mind you, the squads have become the property of the Battlestar playbook and different playbooks can lead them). Which means the "chopper" template is essentially free... and perfect for Zarek.

Thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    Posted By: Guns_n_DroidsAdvice: set permissions for the G-document to "comment", it can help when you have an idea for just this one piece, easier to find.

Basics: with playbooks, it feels more like classes, then it, AFAIK, needs to. AW had this "un-classed" way, because playbooks deliberately were very much away from "how" somebody does things(like fighter kills stuff by melee and ranger kills stuff by bow) towards "what" somebody in fact does(hardholder cares about hold, more or less, battlebabe has skills to do what needs to be done, and kill in process if needed, brainer scans people, angel heals them). Same thing, I don't get why you need separate CAG and Pilot (though I can see something possibly from Harper's Regiment) or who exactly could be "Engineer" besides Tyrol and his girl.

I like the idea of tying enter into Cylon ranks as exp advance, but I'd like more. How you get this or it gets to you.
    political favors are rad.
    Google doc is now open to comments from the public. One thing I really don't like about public access however is that everyone shows up as anonymous, even if logged into a google account.

As far as class based books go, I am deviating from AW in that regard. Inspired both by the Regiment and the show itself, I see the roles of where you fit into society, who is barking orders at you and what people expect you to do as the defining element of a playbook. Looking at an incredibly mercurial character like Lee (CAG, member of the Quarom of 12, Ltd (pilot), Commander, President), I think the character went all over the place (and may have even changed playbooks once or twice) but the responsibilities placed on him were rarely (if ever) lifted.

Good call on the Cylon playbooks. I should add in some detail there. In the game I played it was very clear because of knowledge of the show what it meant, but I should put something about what being a Cylon means in the playbook.

Thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    Posted By: tresiPosted By: Sean NittnerPossibly replacing Barter with Political Favor.
    Why not just Favor?
    Perfect. Favor it is. Thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    Up to 11 books now:

Military:

Commander
    CAG
    Pilot
    Engineer
    Marine

Civilian Playbooks

President
    Opportunist
    Visionary
    Captain
    Businessman
    Partisan

Books still to make: Activist (Tom Zarek ala Chopper), Doctor (Cottle ala Ange), and I'm going to make a stab at a base Cylon playbook going with Six (Faith based, using the Cylon moves I made already).

Thinking a lot about Guns_n_Droids point that playbooks are less about "how you do" than "what you do" and it's got me wondering about some of my designations. In some ways the Commander, the XO and the CAG could all be the same playbook, with a minor choice of "What rank are you". And yet, I want to see the tension between leaders at different levels, and responsibility weighing differently based on social expectations. Hmm... I think I need to play it more to know for sure.
  • Just a thought - what if every playbook had a unique "when you reveal yourself as a cylon" move?
  • I thought about it, but frankly the number of playbooks was prohibitive. And I wasn't really sure what unique ways each playbook wold reveal. It seems that in the show, how someone revealed had a lot more to do with their personality and situation that their role.
  • I think that AW is the wrong, model for BSG.
    There is far to may moving parts for AW to deal with. Your going to get into situations where the Wrong Mix of playbooks isn't fun.

I would use, How We Came To Live Here.
    You have two roles, Military and Civilian. A lot of the show is about Military personal trying to do things that are only proper for the Civilians to do.

This fits in just perfectly with HWCTLH corruptions, sins.. There is even a way for PC's to become Monsters, aka Cylons.

I'd love to collaborate with someone on this..
  • ...so, an Inside (Civilian) chief, the President. And an Outside (Military) chief, the Admiral.

An Inside Player creating challenges and crises from the Inside (cylon infiltrators, supply shortages, revolt and sedition, insubordination, personal issues within the community).
    An Outside Player creating challenges from the Outside (cylon raiders, motherships tracking the fleet, space phenomena and hazards).

That's pretty clever. Thanks for the brain teaser!
  • Killer idea zipht, I just played How We Came to Live Here for the first time at Dead of Winter, and I loved it. I could totally see the that would port over nicely.

That said, I've had a blast hacking AW->AG. Just like when I run AW, I write love letters, limit the selection of playbooks and generally create a situation where the options available all have a specific connection with the situation at hand (at least when I'm running con games).
  • About a billion years later, I've finally got something up. Yay!

Apocalypse Galactica
  • Nice!

Any tips on running AG as a one-shot? Are the included scenarios conducive to a single session game?
  • Hi Felan,

Yep, both of the scenarios are built to be run as con games (single session). I usually run Damascas Falls in 4 hours. 33 in 6.

One thing I have noticed is that even though I streamlined Hx to go faster, the fleet and battlestar options take some time for the group to fill out. So, for the fastest game, I'd stick with non-president, non-commander playbooks and skip the fleet/battlestar playbook as well.