I Threw a Car at the Hulk

edited February 2012 in Actual Play
So last night jenskot ran the Marvel Heroic game for a posse of us at his place. I already have the thing on reserve at my local game joint, but this reassured me that it is going to be a good purchase. He and his co-GM basically ran the game by grabbing a comic from his stack of comics and using it as the plot, and it worked.

I played Armor who's a sort of obscure X-Men character, and we also had Cyclops, Spider-Man, Captain America, and Luke Cage. The combat is really well done. It doesn't do that weird superhero war simulation thing that most other superhero RPGs do. Combat is instead comic booky and creative and engaging, and the powers are all like juicy steaks. When Loki shot a mystical blast at me, I knew it was going to hurt, but when I looked at my powers I was like, "I think I can take this!" And I did! You have to throw in some color to make sure you're engaging the character for who they are and not just randomly rolling powers, but it's loose enough that a couple sentences will do the trick.

And later I threw a car at the Hulk. It didn't knock him out, but it was pretty close and gave Luke Cage his chance to drop him. Oh, and the Hulk was scary to fight which was cool. As we made him angrier he Hulked up more and more, but he wasn't insurmountable by a group of superheroes. It felt just right.

We didn't get a chance to do a ton of the between-combat, Aunt May scenes, so I don't know how it does those, but since in comic books those are often just breathers between conflicts I'm not sure I'm worried. But, my milestones gave me some guidance on how I would play those scenes. Oh, and the milestones are pretty sweet.I had a sidekick milestone, so I spent a lot of my time in combat just buffing Cyclops in cool ways and getting rewarded for it. It was satisfying!

Comments

• You ain't a real Marvel hero until you fight the Hulk. (You ain't a real Marvel villain until you attack J. Jonah Jameson.) Good stuff.
  • Now I feel bummed that I didn't get into the Marvel game at Dreamation. I want to throw a car at the Hulk, too. Or be the Hulk and throw cars at puny heroes/humans.
  • edited February 2012
    In my dream game of MHR, I run a game with Bret, where he plays Ghost Rider and various friends and such come and guest-star as various heroes and villains, making it a kind of Marvel Team-up comic with Ghost Rider as the main character.

Sounds really cool, Bret. Thanks for sharing. Any idea which comic it was?
  • Or be emo Hulk and throw cars at yourself.
  • Posted By: Bret GillanWe didn't get a chance to do a ton of the between-combat, Aunt May scenes, so I don't know how it does those, but since in comic books those are often just breathers between conflicts I'm not sure I'm worried. But, my milestones gave me some guidance on how I would play those scenes.
    I haven't finished reading the game yet, but I think you've got the idea. In a "Transition Scene" you recover stress (some automatically, more if someone uses a healing power or counsels you through your emotional turmoil or whatever) and try to hit your milestones. That's about it.
    Posted By: Sam!Now I feel bummed that I didn't get into the Marvel game at Dreamation. I want to throw a car at the Hulk, too. Orbethe Hulk and throw cars at puny heroes/humans.
    I think I need to run this, so there's a chance I'll pitch it in #playnow some time. You seem to be gone before I'm on in the evenings, but maybe a weekend?
  • Posted By: FigureFourPosted By: Sam!Now I feel bummed that I didn't get into the Marvel game at Dreamation. I want to throw a car at the Hulk, too. Orbethe Hulk and throw cars at puny heroes/humans.
    I think I need to run this, so there's a chance I'll pitch it in #playnow some time. You seem to be gone before I'm on in the evenings, but maybe a weekend?
    That could be doable. Our time difference is generally what messes stuff up. By the time you're off from work, I'm asleep, or about to hit the sack. A weekend would clear away some obstacles.
  • I asked Jon (a co-GM I'm training to help me run multiple launch parties the weekend after dreamation) to grab a random comic from our spinner racks.

He came back with:
    256856-18327-120040-1-ultimates_super.jpg

Hulk. Loki. NYC. Threw in Christmas. Go!

Every time Cyclops and Armor rolled 1s, I increased the Doom Pool by increasing the mutant hysteria! It turned out that Loki is invisible to video recording equipment so all the News showed was Cyclops blowing up the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree!
  • Yeah, MSH on #playnow! I'd be up for that (again, time difference... I'm on GMT and mostly on in the evenings).

Just downloaded it and it does look brilliant. Am thinking already of signing up to run it at upcoming cons.... I worry that my knowledge of the Marvel universe may let me down (I know a bit, but hey, many gamers are massive comic nerds - especially the ones likely to sign up to a MSH con game!)
  • Posted By: Mark CauseyOr be emo Hulk and throw cars at yourself.
    You wouldn't like me when I'm angsty.
    ...nobody likes me when I'm angsty...
    Sulk Sad.
  • Loki almost turned Spider-Man into an axe wielding dwarf minion.

Armor was my favorite character.

But everyone was so spot on with their character depictions. I was really impressed and enthused.
  • Spider-Man's quips were pretty damn amazing. I wish I recorded them!
  • Where did you get the datafile for the Hulk? Can't seem to find him in the basic set... or did you just work him out with the (straightforward-looking) guidelines?
  • This is all amazingly bad-ass. Thanks for the report, Bret! You're the first person I know who's played Armor. She's one of my favorites.

And jenskot should totally email me about the Hulk. I'm intrigued to see how he worked that up in comparison to the one I have brewing on my laptop RIGHT NOW.

Cheers,
    Gamma Cam
  • Posted By: Colin_FredericksPosted By: Mark CauseyOr be emo Hulk and throw cars at yourself.
    You wouldn't like me when I'm angsty.
    ...nobody likes me when I'm angsty...
    Sulk Sad.

The awesome thing is that, by my first-read understanding of the rules, you could totally make a Emo Hulk character whose powers are:
    1) Hulking out and being super-strong (throwing cars at people)
    2) Being very sad (and dealing out emotional stress)

I think that would be a really fun character to play. You could literally gloom people into submission.
  • I was worried about the guy playing Spider-Man. It seems like you'd come down with quip fatigue pretty fast.

Millsy, jenskot came up with his own Hulk. I'm not quite sure how he did it, but I know that the stress we did to him made him angrier and added to his dice pool..
  • Sounds great!

Was everyone at the table familiar with comics/the superhero genre? That's usually the biggest obstacle to playing a successful superhero game.
  • Melissa never read comics (she did watch the Captain America movie) but was able to play Captain by using his Distinctions and Milestones as a guide.

I'll post my notes on the Hulk sometime after Dreamation. The next 2 weeks will be crunch time!
  • Posted By: JuddIn my dream game of MHR, I run a game with Bret, where he plays Ghost Rider and various friends and such come and guest-star as various heroes and villains, making it a kind of Marvel Team-up comic with Ghost Rider as the main character.
    This may be a stupid question, especially given that such a high-profile hero as the Hulk isn't even included in the book, but is Ghost Rider represented? Because if so, that's pretty cool. Ghost Rider rawks.
  • No Ghost Rider. I assume future event books will flesh out more of the Marvel lineup.
  • Johnny Blaze shows up in the Civil War Event! Maybe one of the supplements, but he's coming along.

Basic Game is set during the Breakout storyline of New Avengers, so Thor and Hulk aren't around. But I've got something planned for them soon...

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Hi, I'm Johnny Blaze. You may know me from the time I jumped over 37 school buses while drinking a crisp, refreshing Budweiser Select.
  • I wrote up a Ghost Rider datafile if you're interested!
  • I just read through this this morning. I like how the core book includes two different young females mutants who get their high Buddy scores from hanging out with wolverine. He's the best at what he does, and what he does best is actualizing the potential of young girls. Seems unlikely that any event would get us mallrat Jubilee, though.

My least favorite thing about the book was the use of the Greg Land art for Storm. I have become a huge nerd.
  • Posted By: Bret GillanI wrote up a Ghost Rider datafile if you're interested!
    I am, and quite unasked Matt Strickling Google Plus'd it to me. I don't know how he found me on there, but I appreciated getting the write-up all the same.

Now I just need to get the actual game.
  • Posted By: Sam!Now I just need to get the actualgame.
    If you didn't go to bed LIKE AN OLD MAN we'd have played it already!
  • You didn't tell me I could play Ghost Rider!
  • Sam, you can play Batroc the Leaper for all I care!
  • If there are stats for Batroc ze Leapair in that book and none for the Hulk, my brain may explode. Explode!
  • Posted By: Sam!If there are stats for Batroc ze Leapair in that book and none for the Hulk, my brain may explode. Explode!
    There are no stats for the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, or Doctor Doom. Nor stats for Batroc ze Leapair. But they do have stats for Razor-Fist.
  • Posted By: James_NostackThere are no stats for the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, or Doctor Doom. Nor stats for Batroc ze Leapair. But they do have stats for Razor-Fist.
    Okay, that's just weird.
  • Posted By: Sam!Posted By: James_NostackThere are no stats for the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, or Doctor Doom. Nor stats for Batroc ze Leapair. But they do have stats forRazor-Fist.
    Okay, that's just weird.

I actually kind of like how many bullshit nobodies there are. I mean, you always need more ogres but you only need one tarrasque, right?
  • Posted By: Sam!Posted By: James_NostackThere are no stats for the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, or Doctor Doom. Nor stats for Batroc ze Leapair. But they do have stats forRazor-Fist.
    Okay, that's just weird.

Just remember the mini-Event in the main book really only covers the New Avengers story arc issues #1-6 "Breakout." And while yeah, most of the villains they list are B-list and below, there are some tough baddies in the mix.

I must admit, I was hoping for more listings for major heroes and villains (especially Dr. Doom, who is my idol of idols), but I kinda understand what they're going for. Besides which, can you imagine just how HUGE of a book it'd have been if they included all of the popular good guys and bad guys?

I think, though, we need a "Make Stuff" thread where we can post our own versions of heroes and villains converted to MHRPG. I'm digging out my old Marvel-philes as we speak. (ok, I'm actually not, but I am making a mental note to get them from my gaming shelf when I get home tonight).
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinI think, though, we need a "Make Stuff" thread where we can post our own versions of heroes and villains converted to MHRPG. I'm digging out my old Marvel-philes as we speak. (ok, I'm actually not, but Iammaking a mental note to get them from my gaming shelf when I get home tonight).
    I was considering doing this! I've been statting up the Midnight Sons-era supernatural superheroes during slow periods at work. I've done Danny Ketch Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze, and I'm working on Blade right now.
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinI think, though, we need a "Make Stuff" thread where we can post our own versions of heroes and villains converted to MHRPG.
    Your wish is my command.
  • Posted By: Bret GillanI've been statting up the Midnight Sons-era supernatural superheroes during slow periods at work. I've done Danny Ketch Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze, and I'm working on Blade right now.
    Which version of Ghost Rider is the one you posted to Google+? I assumed it was the latest Johnny Blaze incarnation, but now I'm wondering.
  • It was! So the Danny Ketch version I'm posting here is different (and a bit more in line with the characters in the other datafiles I think).
  • Posted By: Sam!Posted By: stupidgremlinI think, though, we need a "Make Stuff" thread where we can post our own versions of heroes and villains converted to MHRPG.
    Your wish is my command.

Awesome!

...I need to wish for more stuff!
  • Posted By: skinnyghostPosted By: Sam!Posted By: James_NostackThere are no stats for the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, or Doctor Doom. Nor stats for Batroc ze Leapair. But they do have stats forRazor-Fist.
    Okay, that's just weird.

I actually kind of like how many bullshit nobodies there are. I mean, you always need more ogres but you only need one tarrasque, right?

Breakout is funny that way, it's like speedbump, speedbump, speedbump, Count Nefaria, squish.