[Marvel Heroic Roleplaying] Heroes and villains, assemble!

edited February 2012 in Make Stuff!
Someone suggested that there be a thread for posting builds of various heroes and villains using the new Marvel system. Since I'm selfish and want to see these things, I have created just such a thread.

Bring on the Marvel-y goodness!

Comments

• I'll keep posting these as I make them, but I'm currently working on building an Event for different Midnight Sons storylines along with accompanying superheroes and villains. I started with the Danny Ketch version of Ghost Rider:

Affiliations

Solo d8
    Buddy d10
    Team d6

Distinctions

Avenger of the Innocent
    Reluctant Hero
    Brother of Blaze

Power Sets

Spirit of Vengeance

Hellfire and Chains (Superhuman Attack) D10
    Godlike Durability D12
    Superhuman Strength D10
    Motorcycle (Superhuman Speed) D10

SFX: Penance Stare. Spend 1PP and target one opponent with your Penance Stare. Your attack steps up to D12 or is doubled, and you remove the highest roll and take three to determine results. Penance Stare does emotional stress, and remains activated until you use a different power or switch to another opponent.
    SFX: Invulnerable. Spend 1PP to ignore Physical Stress unless caused by Mystical attacks.
    SFX: Area Affect: Spend 1PP to add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.

Limit: Spirit of Vengeance can only be used in the story once an innocent or innocents are threatened.
    Limit: If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shut down Spirit of Vengeance.

Specialties

Combat Expert d8
    Menace Expert d8
    Vehicle Master d8

Milestones

Avenge the Spilling of Innocent Blood
    1xp declare a character, ally or enemy, as a threat to innocent lives.
    3xp when you take a major step, such as recruiting a powerful ally or joining a team, in order to monitor or oppose the threat.
    10xp when you eliminate the threat.

Passing the Torch
    1xp when you assist another character using your Mystic speciality.
    3xp when you first defeat another character in a Buddy situation using your Penance Stare SFX.
    10xp when you either nominate another character to take over as the Spirit of Vengeance, or defeat another hero to prove your status as the true Spirit of Vengeance.
  • I'm working on a whole playset based around a team of superheroes in my home state, Arizona.

My self-imposed challenge is to make a politically conservative superhero that isn't a parody, is actually a hero and actually engages with politics.
  • edited February 2012
    Posted By: JDCorleyI'm working on a whole playset based around a team of superheroes in my home state, Arizona.

My self-imposed challenge is to make a politically conservative superhero that isn't a parody, is actually a hero and actually engages with politics.
    Just turn on FOX news or something similar for about five minutes, and grab one of the catch-phrases as a superhero name. First thing that comes to mind is a hero named "Border," probably a typical powerhouse or maybe even a Batman-type that skulks around in the night, who'd have some line like "Don't cross this Border!" ...that he'd say with a straight face.
  • Since I think he's a badass and I've seen others complain about his absence, I spent a couple minutes whipping up a quick Doctor Doom!

I may have underestimated his powers a bit, in an effort not to let my fanboyism go completely wild. You could probably bump most of them up a die size if you want him to be a truly epic villain.
    I also didn't give too much thought to his SFX, so if you don't like them, let me know. (Same goes for anything else. I'm happy to talk about my thoughts here if people are interested/curious.)

Dr Doom
    Solo d10 Buddy d6 Team d8

Destinctions
    DOOM NEEDS NO ONE!
    Twisted sense of honor.
    Absolute monarch of Latveria.

Power Armoured Genius
    d8 Enhanced Strength d10 Superhuman Durability
    d10 Energy Blast d8 Subsonic Flight

SFX: Boost
    SFX: Area Attack

Limit: Exhausted

And He’s ALSO A Wizard
    d10 Mystic Blast d10 Mystic Shield
    d10 Psychic Resistance d8 Sorcery
    SFX: Focus
    SFX: Unleashed

Limit: Exhausted

Specialties
    d8 Combat Expert
    d8 Cosmic Expert
    d8 Menace Expert
    d8 Mystic Expert
    d10 Science Master
    d10 Tech Master
  • Now do MF DOOM.

• Posted By: JDCorley
    I feel like lots of heroes are politically conservative and not parodies.

Batman, for example: (a) locates today's problems with rampant degeneracy, (b) wants to return the world to a golden age of past (symbolized by the death of his parents), (c) eschews bureaucracy and believes justice is more easily exacted by autonomous wealthy individuals, (d) but despite these stances supports the modern prison system, and (e) adopts a the-disturbed-are-criminals stance on mental illness. Further, the Batman franchise posits that wealthy people pump their money back into the city (as either superheroes or supervillains).
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinFirst thing that comes to mind is a hero named "Border," probably a typical powerhouse or maybe even a Batman-type that skulks around in the night, who'd have some line like "Don't crossthisBorder!" ...that he'd say with a straight face.
    Not a parody, hmmm. :)
    Posted By: McdaldnoI feel like lots of heroes are politically conservative and not parodies.
    To a degree, yes. This is why the challenge is to make it explicit rather than implicit.
  • Posted By: skinnyghostNow do MF DOOM.

MF Doom

Affiliations
    Solo D8
    Buddy D10
    Team D6

Distinctions
    Metal-Faced Geek
    Good Herbs
    Rhyme Villain

Power Sets: Rap Supervillain Supreme
    Enhanced Herbal Creativity D8
    Grooves that make you Move D8
    Superhuman Rhyming D10
    Mic Blast D10
    Godlike Mix-Master D12

SFX: Focus
    Limit: Needs his Herbs.

Specialties
    Rhyme Master D10
    Geek Culture Expert D8
  • And because Sam keeps asking for it, here's my quick take on the Hulk. I may have gone overboard on his Limits . . .

Hulk
    Solo d6 Buddy d8 Team d10

Distinctions
    Big green rage monster.
    Little wimpy scientist.
    Powered by gamma rays.

Gamma Radiation Mutant
    d12 Godlike Strength d12 Godlike Durability
    d10 Superhuman Stamina d10 Superhuman Leaping (Speed/Movement)

SFX: Berserk. Add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool die by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you’re done.
    SFX: Unleashed. Step up or double any Gamma Radiation Mutant power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die.

Limit: Powered by rage. Shutdown Gamma Radiation Mutation when The Hulk is not suffering from Emotional Stress. If the Hulk takes emotional trauma, activate Boundless Uncontrollable Rage.
    Limit: Conscious Activation. If stressed out, asleep or unconscious, shut down Gamma Radiation Mutant. Recover Gamma Radiation Mutant when stress is recovered or you awake.

Boundless Uncontrollable Rage
    When The Hulk flips out he uses the doom pool for all actions as he mindlessly tries to destroy everything around him. While uncontrollable, The Hulk’s dice may be targeted like a mob’s dice; he no longer takes stress, but successful actions against him may reduce the doom pool. He may not use any Affiliation, Distinction or Specialty dice, but may continue to use Powers and SFX. If the doom pool is reduced to two dice, shutdown Boundless Uncontrollable Rage and Gamma Radiation Mutant. Gamma Radiation Mutant may be recovered by inflicting emotional stress on The Hulk(Bruce Banner).

Specialties
    d8 Combat Expert
    d10 Science Master
    d8 Tech Expert

Milestones
    Anger Management
    1 XP when you first step a die in the doom pool above d8 with your Berserk SFX, or the first time you fail an action using your Unleashed SFX.
    3 XP when you refuse to participate in a fight because your powers are too dangerous.
    10 XP when you freak out so badly that your friends have to team up to put you down OR when you lock yourself away from people to avoid hurting anyone again.
  • edited February 2012
    Silver Age DOCTOR DOOM
    This version of the character is modeled on his early appearances in the 1960's, where he goes from being just another disfigured super-scientist with a grudge against Mister Fantastic to becoming the super-villain's super-villain who rules his own country and steals the Power Cosmic. By the Bronze Age and after, power creep sets in and Doom gets even more powerful, but at this stage he can still be defeated by a guy like Spider-Man or the "Kooky Quartet" version of the Avengers.

Affiliations
    Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6
    Doom mainly works on his own, occasionally exploiting guys like the Sub-Mariner to good effect. The only time you see Doom heading a team during this period involves the Terrible Trio, who are, in fact, terrible--plus the whole disaster with the Richards-Storm wedding.

Distinctions
    Thirst for Revenge
    Ruler of Latveria
    Innate Superiority
    I'm a little unclear on whether super villains get milestones, so I'm folding as much of Doctor Doom's personality and into these.

Power Sets
    Powered Armor
    Durability d10
    Flight d6
    Strength d8
    Hidden Gadgets d8
    SFX: Constructs (use to whip out deadly new inventions when using Hidden Gadgets), Doombot (not sure how this would work: like if Doom gets physically stressed out, turns out it was a Doombot all along?)
    Limit: Growing Dread (Doom's overconfidence typically causes him to slip up?), or maybe Unmasked

Life among the Ovoids
    Mind Control d10 (only used to swap consciousness with a victim's body)
    Psychic Resistance d8
    Limit: ??

Specialties
    Cosmic Master
    Science Master
    Tech Master
    Menace Expert
    Mystic Expert
    Psych Expert
    Doctor Doom in the Silver Age is apparently interested in sorcery and mystic lore, but never seems to do anything with it. He's pretty good at manipulating people too.
  • Posted By: stupidgremlinMF Doom
    You win all my internets, today. I am going to find an excuse to use him in a game.
  • Posted By: skinnyghost
    You win all my internets, today. I am going to find an excuse to use him in a game.
    I may have to update him later. If I had my iPod with me, I'd have quoted him a whole bunch to make him feel more like the true MF Doom. Alas, I cannot play music at work.
    I loves me some MF Doom, tho.
    May also have to do MC Esoteric as a variant of the Punisher.
  • edited February 2012
    Johnny Blaze!

Affiliations

Solo 1d8
    Buddy 1d10
    Team 1d6

Distinctions

Drifter
    Daredevil Stuntman
    On the run from the Devil

Power Sets

Hellfire Imbued

Shotgun (Enhanced Attack) 1d8
    Motorcycle (Enhanced Speed) 1d8
    Sorcery Novice 1d6

SFX: Multipower - Use multiple powers simultaneously at -1 step for each additional power.
    SFX: Boost - Spend 1PP to step up or double one of your Hellfire Imbued powers.
    SFX: A Daredevil’s Luck - Spend 1PP to reroll your dice on any stunt involving Motorcycle.

Specialties

Combat Expert 1d8
    Mystic Expert 1d8
    Vehicle Master 1d10

Milestones

Mystic Veteran
    1XP when you aid a hero in occult matters for the first time
    3XP when you aid a stressed out hero in recovery
    10XP when you either convince the hero aid you in your battles against hell or to go their own way

Hellbound
    1XP when an agent of Hell pursues you
    3XP when you risk, endanger, or sacrifice something or someone you care about to keep the forces of Hell at bay
    10XP when you either give up your soul to Mephisto, or get him to agree to leave you be
  • It's scary how close that is to the actual Hulk datafile I have in development. So don't be too surprised if you get parallel design deja-vu.

Also, I need to not read threads like this!

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Posted By: CamBanksIt's scary how close that is to the actual Hulk datafile I have in development. So don't be too surprised if you get parallel design deja-vu.
    Maybe I'm insane, but that makes me quite pleased.
  • If anyone wants to stat up the Wu-Tang Clan, it would be much appreciated. I've been wanting to run my "Last Days of the Wu-Tang" game for a long time, when I could find the right system.
  • Oh man, that'd be cool. GZA especially, if you read the lyrics to Liquid Sword.
  • Tabitha Smith

Affiliations: solo d6, buddy d8, team d10

Distinctions: Trash Celebrity, Hairtrigger, Street Kid

Power sets: The Mutant Ability To Blow Shit Up And Steal All Your Stuff

Time Bomb: d8

SFX: Area Attack, Versatile, Bonus to create force constructs
    SFX: Delayed Blast - You don't roll your your Action until *after* all reactions have been rolled.
    SFX: Mindless - You can spend 1pp to ignore the effect of a mental attack
    SFX: In the Confusion - You can use your effect die to remove a resource, and if you have a second effect die you can take it for your own.

Limit: The mutant thing.

Specialties: combat expert d8, crime expert d8, vehicle expert d8

Milestones: 1xp when you steal something / 3 xp when you give someone the explodo for questionable cause / 10xp when you get serious and dedicate yourself to a cause or abandon it while making off with something important
  • "plz sir i want some moar"

"LOLIVER TWIIIIST"
  • So, Ryan, are you gonna stat up the whole NextWave, or what?

/Anger Out
  • I guess it'd be as good an excuse as any to reread it again. I really just love Boom-Boom, though. Ever since I saw her use the mutant power which had gotten her kicked out of her house to blow up a payphone for the quarters to play Space Invaders.
  • edited February 2012
    Moon Knight
    Marc Spector

Affiliations

Solo 1d10
    Buddy 1d8
    Team 1d6

Distinctions

Soldier of Fortune
    “I am the Chosen of Konshu.”
    C-List Avenger

Power Sets

Weapons of the Moon God
    Crescent Darts d8
    Gliding Cape d8
    Truncheon w/ Grappling Hook d8

SFX: AFFLICT Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when damaging a werewolf.
    SFX: IMMUNITY Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from Psychic Attacks.

Shutdown Weapons of the Moon God and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. doom pool to recover.

Weapons of the Confidants
    Logan’s Claws d8
    Web-shooters d8
    Cap’s Back-up Shield d8
    SFX: UNLEASHED Step up or double any Weapons of the Confidants power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die.

Change any Weapons of the Confidants power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

Specialties

Combat Master 1d10
    Mystic Expert 1d8
    Cover Master 1d10
    Menace Expert 1d8
    Acrobatics Expert 1d8
    Vehicle Expert 1d8

Milestones

Voices
    1XP When you talk to the voices in your head as if they were real people.
    3XP When you allow the voices to talk you into a dangerous course of action or admit to someone that you talk to people who aren’t there.
    10XP When you either seek help for your fractured personality or run away and change the cast of the voices for a new purpose.

C-List Avenger
    1XP When you have to tell someone that you are a super-hero or an Avenger
    3XP When you gain stress from engaging in public super-heroism.
    10XP When you either accomplish a tremendous public super-heroic feat or break down and fade into obscurity.

Inspirations and Thoughts:
    Moon Knight by Bendis and Maleev, issues 1-9 (10 comes out tomorrow)
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Marc_Spector_(Earth-616)

The most important bits to me were that he was a kick-ass vigilante and that the limitations and milestones showed how mentally unstable Spector is...or is he a stable guy dealing as best he can with the blessings of an ancient Moon God? I didn't want to make any judgments.
  • My Marvel super team has:

* A pulp two-fisted aviator hero
    * A Little Miss Perfect witch
    * A closeted mutant worrywart
    * A mysterious shapeshifter

Who am I missing? 1-2 more, plz.
  • Jason:
    * Kid with dad's power armor (or wife with husband's - Vindicator q.v.)
    * Former professional wrestler/running back/polo champion, enhanced by super-secret govt project
    * Android who wants to be human, or vice versa
  • I love the wife-with-husband's power armor. He can be a sullen survivalist nerd ("My armor will protect us from being herded into FEMA camps! Obama can take my omni-beam projectors from my cold dead hands!") and she can be a more normal, outgoing "let's make a difference!" type. ("You need to spend a lot less time on the Internet, sweetie, now let's go weed the garden.") They conflict because she stepped right up to register for the Initiative and he was like "arrrgh, big government!!"
  • Arrogant anti-hero God-King
    Brassy Teenage Mutant Who Shares the Language and Music of Today's Youth
  • edited February 2012
    Blade

Affiliations
    Solo 1d8
    Buddy 1d6
    Team 1d10

Distinctions
    Vampiric Bloodline
    Bloodlust
    Machine-gun Hand

Power Sets

Daywalker
    Enhanced Strength d8
    Enhanced Stamina d8
    Enhanced Reflexes d8
    Resistance (Vampiric Powers) d10
    Enhanced Senses d8

SFX: Thirst for Blood: Add a die from the Doom Pool for one or more attack actions. Step up the Doom Pool die by +1 for each action, return it to the doom pool when you’re done.

Limit: While not a true Vampire, Blade can get 1PP when he’s affected by Vampire-specific milestones and tech.

Vampire Hunter
    Arsenal (Attack) d8
    Grappling Hook (Movement) d6

SFX: Gun-hand Burst - Step up or double an Attack die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add together three dice for the total.
    SFX: Swords.. Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool by -1. Step up Physical Stress inflicted by +1.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Vampire Hunter and gain 1PP. Take an action against the Doom Pool to recover.

Specialties

Acrobatic Expert d8
    Combat Expert d8
    Covert Expert d8
    Menace Expert d8

Milestones

Cursed Heritage
    1XP when you first use your Thirst for Blood SFX.
    3XP when your vampiric heritage is the subject of a confrontation or argument
    10XP when you either embrace your heritage completely or deny it.

Enemy of the Undead
    1XP when you make a specific undead the target of your hunt
    3XP when you make significant gains towards locating their lair or recruiting allies against them
    10XP when you either slay them, or let them go

Note: I may have repeated a few ideas here, but he's kind of a one-note character.
  • Always bet on Blade.

If I wanted another aspect of Blade, I'd have to tie it to a particular portrayal - some relationship or issue he's coping with Right Then. And that's why Event based milestones are so good.
  • Posted By: Bret GillanMachine-gun Hand
    This may be a stupid question, but I haven't actually read a comic involving Blade since before the beginning of time. Does he literally have a machine gun hand now, or is this just a figure of speech?
  • edited February 2012
    He literally has a machine gun hand. He got it during the Civil War when he registered and joined SHIELD. I have no idea how he lost it in the first place.

I totally forgot that I was trying to do Midnight Sons-era characters, though, so that was pre-gun hand so I'd want to swap those out if I ran the actual Event.
  • edited March 2012
    One for the under-represented Brit Pack.

Captain Britain
    Brian Braddock (Known to UK authorities)

Affiliations:
    • Solo: D8 Buddy: D6 Team: D10

Distinctions:
    • Well, I am Captain Britain
    • Born to an extra-dimensional entity
    • My self-belief empowers me

Power Sets:
    Matrix Suit
    • Superhuman Strength D10
    • Enhanced Stamina D8
    • Enhanced Reflexes D8
    • Enhanced Senses D8
    • Subsonic Flight D8

Sfx:
    • Defensive Forcefield: Spend 1pp to ignore stress, trauma or complications from physical or energy attacks.
    • Forcefield Strike: Add a D6 to your dice pool for an attack action as Captain Britain extends his forcefield offensively. Step back the highest die in the pool by -1 and step up
    STRESS TYPE inflicted by +1.

Limit:
    • Self Doubt: Every time you lose a conflict, shutdown a POWER SET power. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.

Specialities:
    • Science Master
    • Tech Master
    • Acrobatic Expert

Milestones
    Love for Meggan
    • 1xp when you profess your love for Meggan.
    • 3xp when you protect Meggan from harm.
    • 10xp when you either marry or push Meggan away.

The schemes of Merlyn
    • 1xp when you use your powers to protect a non-villain from harm.
    • 3xp when you use your powers to protect the UK from a threat.
    • 10xp when you either form a new team of super-heroes or walk away from being a super hero.

John
  • edited March 2012
    Rogue
    Anna Marie
    X-Men

Affiliations
    Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions
    - Brash
    - Insecure
    - So many voices...

Power Sets
    Power Absorption
    - MIMIC D10
    SFX
    Shouldna' got so close: On a successful Reaction against a hand-to-hand attack, convert your opponents Effect die into a Power Absorption stunt or step up a Power Absoption power by +1 for your next action. Spend 1 PP to use this stunt if your opponent’s action succeeds.
    Ah can do that...: Add a D6 and keep an extra effect die when using MIMIC to create assets (specifically, mimicing powers).
    That too...: Split MIMIC into 2d8. This limits the scope and extent of the MIMICed powers to this die rating.
    Draining touch: Add a D6 and keep an extra effect die and use it to cause stress to the target when using your MIMIC power to create assets. Gain 1PP if you use this SFX on an ally. If their Reaction is successful, their effect die causes emotional or mental stress to you.
    Many memories: Add or step up a die in the Doom Pool to access the skills and memories of someone you have previously absorbed and declare a Speciality at Expert for the remainder of the scene.

Limits
    Dangerous to touch: Change any Power Absoption power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.
    Mutant: Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.
    Fractured Psyche: Earn 1 PP when you step up emotional stress caused by doubt, confusion, or your powers by +1.

Stolen Powers
    SUPERHEROIC DURABILITY D10
    SUBSONIC FLIGHT D8
    ENHANCED STAMINA D8
    SUPERHEROIC STRENGTH D10

SFX
    Invulnerable: Spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress or trauma unless caused by gas or mystical attacks.
    Reckless: Borrow a die from the doom pool for an attack action. Step up the doom die by +1 and return to the doom pool.

Limits
    Not my powers: Shutdown a Stolen Powers powers and gain 1PP. Recover the power by activating an opportunity during a Transition scene.
    Mutant: Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.

Specialities
    Combat Expert
    (Crime Expert?)

Milestones
    Conflicted
    1XP When you declare you've absorbed a hero or villain on the scene in the past and that a personality remnant is causing you problems.
    3XP When you create a complication on this ally, or aid this enemy.
    10XP When you switch sides in a fight OR when you assimilate the troublesome personality into a new gestalt.

My power is a curse...
    1XP When you refuse to aid, or to be aided, by a hero for the first time because you are dangerous.
    3XP When you first activate your Dangerous to touch Limit.
    10XP When you leave the team because you are a danger to your allies OR you accept an invitation to join a team despite incapacitating an ally using your Power Absorption powerset.

I'm not all that familiar with the many changes Rogue has undergone, this is some general version of her with Ms Marvel's powers and trouble with a fragmented psyche, which is the 'classic' in my mind. I'm also not familiar enough to say if she has many Specialities- I want to say Crime, but that might just be associations with Gambit in my mind. In any case, a lot of power, less skill seems to fit Rogue. Many Memories allows Rogue to create new Specialities for the scene by accessing those of people she has absorbed before. Milestones are a bit tricky, but I hoped to capture Rogues' difficulties in dealing with the absorbed personalities and the insecurity her powers cause her. I'd totally play this version, though. :)
  • She's got more than enough justification for crime - if not just from chilling with gambit, then with her time in the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.
  • Good point, forgot about the Brotherhood! Crime Expert makes sense.
  • edited March 2012
    Here's my working copy of Fantomex! It is a bit unfinished. I've got more work I want to do on the EVA power set, and I need a second Milestone, but this is the direction I'm heading in.

I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage here as I don't have the complete, final text of the game to work from. Instead, I'm working from the truncated version supplied to retailers and Launch Party event organizers to run the game in demos. So I'm kind of missing all of the guidelines to actually write up a dude. About half of the hero datafiles are missing, too, so I don't have Kitty Pride and Lockheed to refer to when I'm writing up EVA. You can bet your butt that I'll do a re-write on this guy once I get my hands on the actual game at my FLGS. (plug: 7th Dimension Games, in the Philadelphia 'burbs, MWP-supported PDF provider! Buy your game, get a free PDF! /plug)

Let me know what you think! Suggestions are totally welcome!

Fantomex
    Jean-Phillipe/ Charlie-Cluster 7/ Weapon XIII

Affiliations
    Solo d10
    Buddy d6
    Team d8

Distinctions
    Weapon Plus Refugee
    Dangereux! Diabolique!
    Smooth Operator

Power Sets
    WEAPON XIII PROGRAM
    Enhanced Reflexes d8
    Enhanced Stamina d8
    "Misdirection" (Illusions) d10
    SFX: Illusory Escape: On a reaction roll with a "Misdirection" die in it against a PHYSICAL STRESS attack action, create an ASSET with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1.
    SFX: Formidable: Before you make an action including a WEAPON XIII PROGRAM power, you may move your PHYSICAL STRESS die to the doom pool and step up the WEAPON XIII PROGRAM power by +1 for this action.
    Limit: Mutant: Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.

TOOLS OF THE TRADE
    Superhuman Psychic Resistance d10
    Guns d6
    Limit: Gear: Shutdown POWER SET and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. doom pool to recover.

E.V.A.
    Supersonc Flight d10
    Enhanced Durability d8
    Sensor Suite (Enhance Senses) d8

Specialties
    Acrobatics Expert d8
    Combat Expert d10
    Covert Master d10
    Crime Expert d8
    Medical Expert d8
    Psych Expert d8
    Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones
    "We must all hang together or most assuredly we shall hang separately." -Ben Franklin
    1XP: The first time you gibe or taunt another team member in the scene, or the first time another team member gibes you.
    3XP: When your actions directly lead to a conflict between you and another team member.
    10XP: When you decide to stand with your team once and for all, or when you walk away and leave them all to their fate.
  • Marvel Boy

Avengers Codename: Protector

Kree Ensign Noh-Var

Affiliations

Solo 1d10
    Buddy 1d6
    Team 1d8

Distinctions

Refugee from Another World

Kree Soldier

“This world killed my friends and imprisoned me.”

Power Sets

Nega Bands

Energy Blast d8

Teleportation d6

Flight D6

SFX: Versatile: Split POWER TRAIT into 2d at –1 step, or 3d at –2 steps.

LIMIT: Gear: Shutdown POWER SET and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. doom pool to recover.

Alien Insect DNA

Superhuman Durability d10

Superhuman Speed d10 (can run up walls)

Enhanced Reflexes d8 (maybe d10 too or am I overdoing it?)

Enhanced Senses d8

Enhanced Stamina d8

Enhanced Strength d8

Energy Blast d8 (able to grow fingernails and use them as grenades…seriously)

SFX: Multi-power: Use two or more Alien DNA powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

LIMIT: Conscious Activation: If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Alien DNA. Recover Alien DNA when stress is recovered or you awake. If Physical Trauma is taken, shutdown Alien DNA until trauma is recovered.

Specialties

Combat Master 1d10
    Acrobatics Master 1d10
    Vehicle Master 1d10
    Tech Master 1d10
    Cosmic Master 1d10

Milestones

Rebel without a World
    1XP When you mock the crude ways of Earth-616.
    3XP When you rebel against society through your actions.
    10XP When you either find a place in this world or launch on a campaign to change it once and for all, for its own damned good.

Kree Soldier/Diplomat
    1XP When you declare someone an enemy.
    3XP When you take stress in battle or in an argument with an enemy.
    10XP When you either declare war on something or broker peace.

Inspirations and Thoughts:
    Marvel Boy by Grant Morrison and J.G. Jones
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Noh-Varr_(Earth-200080)
  • Posted By: MPOSullivanHere's my working copy of Fantomex! It is a bit unfinished

Let me know what you think! Suggestions are totally welcome!
    This is a really good and plausible write-up. Suggestions from someone still learning the rules:

* I think characters can only have two power sets. I'd fold Tools of the Trade into Weapon XIII Program--it's the kind of conditioning and prep you'd expect a mutant/cyborg black ops mutant-killer trained in a hyper-evolutionary bio-dome to carry out routinely. You could turn Psychic Resistance d10 into SFX: Psychic Immunity--spend 1 plot point to ignore stress, complications, or trauma from telepathic attacks. (This is modeled on one of Wolverine's Weapon X Program SFX).

Although you'd think Fantomex's guns would be treated as having a gear limitation, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would ever get disarmed or run out of bullets at a critical moment. My main objection to folding this into Weapon XIII Program is that he'd then have to spend a power point to activate his Enhanced Reflexes and Guns at the same time. You could get around this by turning the guns into Combat, Crime, or Covert resources... Hmm, maybe that's it:

SFX: Ready to Kill. In a transition scene, acquire a 1d6 Gun resource without spending a plot point. Keep it until the end of the next Action Scene. Spend 1 plot point for the resource to persist for another Action Scene after that. [I.e., you can recharge this for free if there's no more danger, but if you keep getting in trouble it'll cost you a plot point per additional Action Scene.]

Maybe????

E.V.A. is a strange character and I wouldn't know where to begin writing it up. The Shadowcat datafile treats Lockheed as any other power, but with the following SFX:

SFX: To the Rescue. If Kitty is stressed out, spend 1 plot point to have Lockheed remove her from the scene.
    LIMIT: Unexplainable absence. Earn 1 plot point if you have Lockheed the Dragon shutdown for the remainder of the scene.

I feel that the Specialties are a little overdone, at least based on his original turn in Morrison's New X-Men but maybe he's grown since then.
  • @James

Good notes, man. I wasn't sure about the power sets limitation, but it does make sense. Time to cut things back a bit then.

I'm fine with dropping guns out of there entirely, and your SFX seems nearly perfect. Maybe switch it up a little bit so that he can draw them at any time as a resource at either d6 or d8, but he adds a matching die to the Doom Pool. That way he brings up the danger when he goes for the guns, which seems to fit Fantomex well. So...

SFX: Always Prepared: Acquire a d6 or d8 Combat Specialty resource at any time representing your guns. Whatever dice type you associate with the Resource, add a dice of the same level to the Doom Pool. Make this a Persistent Resource for on Plot Point.

I'd be wary of dropping the Psychic Resistance to an SFX though. Fantomex often knocks lose the ceramic plates in his mask that keep the telepaths out, and the Gear limit seems to handle that well. I'll need to mull that over a little bit more.

Handling E.V.A. is really tough. I do like those two bits from the Lockheed Power Set though, and they would map well to E.V.A. I'm also mulling over a limit that would make any damage done to EVA into Emotional Stress taken by Fantomex instead.

I'll take another whack at Fantomex in the morning and see where things wind up.
  • Is this the New X-Men Fantomex or the Uncanny X-Force Fantomex? The latter strikes me as more like a French, Psychic Deadpool and the former as more like a mysterious assassin-type. Both could be modelled quite differently.
  • @skinnyghost

I'm definitely aiming at Uncanny X-Force. UXF is exactly where I got the idea for the "Misdirection" SFX. And you're right on the money, he's more of an assassin character like Deadpool in UXF than he was in NEWXMEN. Is there an official Deadpool datafile yet? If so, I will steal happily from that!

Speaking of Uncanny X-Force, I re-read the run a day or two ago, as well as the Morrison stuff to get a little more back history, and I've got another, hopefully improved, take. Doing this reminded me that Fantomex isn't actually a mutant, a fact that I totally forgot! That changes some limits, don't it? I'm also still trying to decide if his illusions would best be handled as an Asset on himself, or Complications on others.

Well, here he is. Let me know what you think!

Fantomex

Affiliations
    Solo d10
    Buddy d6
    Team d8

Distinctions
    Weapon Plus Refugee
    Dangereux! Diabolique!
    Smooth Operator

Power Sets
    WEAPON XIII PROGRAM
    Enhanced Reflexes d8
    Enhanced Stamina d8
    SFX: Always Prepared: Acquire a d6 Combat Specialty resource at any time representing your guns. When you do this, the Watcher will either add a new d6 to the Doom Pool or Step Up one dice already in the Doom Pool of their choice. Make this a Persistent Resource for one Plot Point.
    SFX: Illusory Escape: On a reaction roll with a "Misdirection" die in it against a PHYSICAL STRESS attack action, create an ASSET with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1.
    SFX: Backup Nervous System: Before you make an action including a WEAPON XIII PROGRAM power, you may move your PHYSICAL STRESS die to the doom pool and step up the WEAPON XIII PROGRAM power by +1 for this action.
    Limit: Loose Plating: Shutdown Superhuman Psychic Resistance and gain 1 PP. Recover by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.
    Limit: Conscious Activation: If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown “Misdirection”, and eliminate any Assets created with “Misdirection”. Recover “Misdirection” when stress is recovered or you awaken. If MENTAL TRAUMA is taken, shutdown “Misdirection” until trauma is recovered.

E.V.A.
    Supersonic Flight d10
    Enhanced Durability d8
    Robotic Manipulators d6
    SFX: To the Rescue: If you are stressed out, spend 1 plot point to have E.V.A. remove you from the scene. Spend one additional plot point for any additional team mates you wish to remove.
    LIMIT: Unexplainable Absence: Shutdown E.V.A. Power Set and gain 1 PP. Recover by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.

Specialties
    Acrobatics Expert d8
    Combat Master d10
    Covert Master d10
    Crime Expert d8
    Medical Expert d8
    Psych Expert d8
    Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones
    "We must all hang together or most assuredly we shall hang separately." -Ben Franklin
    1XP: The first time you gibe or taunt another team member in the scene, or the first time another team member gibes you.
    3XP: When your actions directly lead to a conflict between you and another team member.
    10XP: When you decide to stand with your team once and for all, or when you walk away and leave them all to their fate.
  • Awesome awesome stuff. Definitely getting the Uncanny Fantomex vibe from this one. There's no official deadpool but the best ones all have his milestones about breaking the 4th wall. Pretty funny.

I feel like Fantomex circa New X-Men is the most "Morrison" of all the characters, save maybe for Quentin Quire. They've both got his weirdo fingers all over them. I'd love to see an Invisible or two done up in Marvel Heroic Roleplaying style... Hmmm...
  • Updated the Fantomex profile. Took a look at a friend's PDF and finally got those tweaks I needed to make E.V.A. work the way I wanted her too. I'm also still lacking a second Milestone, but overall I'm feeling really good about this build.
    Fantomex

Affiliations
    Solo d10
    Buddy d6
    Team d8

Distinctions
    Weapon Plus Refugee
    Dangereux! Diabolique!
    Smooth Operator

Power Sets
    WEAPON XIII PROGRAM
    Enhanced Reflexes d8
    Enhanced Stamina d8
    SFX: Always Prepared: Acquire a d6 Combat Specialty resource at any time representing your guns. When you do this, the Watcher will either add a new d6 to the Doom Pool or Step Up one dice already in the Doom Pool of their choice. Make this a Persistent Resource for one Plot Point.
    SFX: Backup Brains: Before you make an action including a WEAPON XIII PROGRAM power, you may move your PHYSICAL STRESS die to the doom pool and step up the WEAPON XIII PROGRAM power by +1 for this action.
    Limit: Loose Plating: Shutdown Superhuman Psychic Resistance and gain 1 PP. Recover by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.
    Limit: Shutdown: If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown “Misdirection”, and destroy any Assets created with “Misdirection”. Recover “Misdirection” when stress is recovered or you awaken. If MENTAL TRAUMA is taken, shutdown “Misdirection” until trauma is recovered.

E.V.A.
    Supersonic Flight d10
    Enhanced Durability d8
    Robotic Manipulators d6
    SFX: To the Rescue: If you are stressed out, spend 1 plot point to have E.V.A. remove you from the scene. Spend one additional plot point for any additional team mates you wish to remove.
    LIMIT: Psychic Connection: When using Enhanced Durability in your dice pool, redirect PHYSICAL STRESS to MENTAL STRESS at no cost. Redirect effect dice targeting your E.V.A. Assets to yourself as MENTAL STRESS. Spend 1 PP to step back either redirected stress by –1.

Specialties
    Acrobatics Expert d8
    Combat Expert d8
    Covert Master d10
    Crime Expert d8
    Medical Expert d8
    Psych Expert d8
    Vehicles Expert d8

Milestones
    I'm really glad that I chose to write up Fantomex first. Not only because is he a favourite character of mine, but also he seemed like he would be a difficult build. It gave me the opportunity to really get down into the guts of the system and play around with the core concepts and see how they work. Ultimately I think I've made a datafile that reflects what makes Fantomex awesome, and I'm really happy that Marvel Heroic let's me highlight that so well.
  • Hey, so you know that politically conservative non-parody superhero? I finished him:

"Colorado" Hunt, two-fisted aviator from out of time.

He is a member of The Arizona Initiative, if you missed the What To Watch thread.
  • edited May 2012
    I enjoy statting up many of the less-familiar villains that populate the Marvel Universe rather than the more prominent ones. So, you won't find Dr. Doom, Sabretooth, Green Goblin or Magneto in my write-ups here. Instead, you'll find Legal Eagle, Big Wheel, Blackwing and Skinhead.

Below, I'm posting links to my individual villain write-ups. In addition, I have statted up 19 of the villains found in the old Hostess ads found in comicbooks of the late 1970s and early 1980s and compiled them into a PDF, which can be found here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/88030839/Hostess-Villains-Revised
  • These four comprised a villain team.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • edited May 2012
    Photobucket