Marvel Launch Parties + Cheat Sheets!

NerdNYC is running 2 Marvel launch parties this weekend!

Saturday in Manhattan and Sunday in Brooklyn.

We're expecting at least 30 people (possibly many, many more). And if these launch parties go well, one retailer is interested in starting a D&D Encounter like program but using Marvel Events!

Flyers:

Cheat Sheets:
I've trained 7 friends to GM Marvel and in the process created 4 cheat sheets to help them run their events. I've included 2 of them, the Hero and Watcher Cheat Sheets below (the other 2 include too much content from the books that I don't want to share unless people have purchased the game):

Download the Hero Cheat Sheet PDF and the Watcher Cheat Sheet PDF here!

More on Marvel Heroic Roleplaying here.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    You're awesome.
    I'm running it for a demo tomorrow at Rainy Day Games in Aloha, Oregon. I got Watcher and Player cheat sheets via the store, though I will probably use yours as well for cross-referency handiness, particularly since you have the character sheet diagram explanations.

I may have to recommend to Rainy Day about doing Marvel events, too. It'd give me a reason to go out and socialize more.
    ...and a reason to collect more HeroClix.
  • Love your flyer!!!
  • edited March 2012
    If anyone is running any Marvel Launch parties, post about them here!
  • We had 1 informal launch party and a problem we immediately ran into:

- We had a few people who had never read a comic book before.
    - We had several people who are comic book experts.
    - The comic book experts bullied the new people, "your character wouldn't do that".

I put an end to that right away.

Now on each of my Watcher Cheat Sheets I include...
    Tell The Players

- They don't need to know Marvel comics to play this game. Everything they need is on their datafile.
    - Don't worry about playing your hero "incorrectly". And if you have a player who is an expert on Marvel comics, be very clear that every character is different depending on who writes them. Right now, you are the writer!
  • Posted By: jenskotWe had 1 informal launch party and a problem we immediately ran into:

- We had a few people who had never read a comic book before.
    - We had several people who are comic book experts.
    - The comic book experts bullied the new people,"your character wouldn't do that".

I put an end to that right away.

Now on each of my Watcher Cheat Sheets I include...

Tell The Players

- They don't need to know Marvel comics to play this game. Everything they need is on their datafile.
    - Don't worry about playing your hero "incorrectly". And if you have a player who is an expert on Marvel comics, be very clear that every character is different depending on who writes them. Right now, you are the writer!
    Good advice. I'm planning on telling the players that it plays like a Marvel issue of "What If...?" I want to avoid the comic snobs from pushing around the plot to their hearts content while sacrificing everyone else's fun, so I'm laying down the law of "Just because it happened in the comic doesn't necessarily means it happens when interpreted to other mediums, or by other writers." I know I'm going to get a few players who are hard-nosed must-work-as-written comic fanatics who'll argue the point of "I should be able to defeat The Purple Man handily, because according to the Breakout story arc, he was pumped full of drugs to keep his powers from working...etc. etc.", so hopefully by stating this up front, it should quell any opposition.
  • Michael, great ideas!

The other thing I forgot to mention is these Marvel parties are step 1 on the road to Gen Con. I'm hoping to train up and bring with me a small army of GMs to Gen Con's Games on Demand that Terry and I are co-organizing with Steve. Step 1 this weekend. Step 2 to Pax East! Final step... Gen Con!

One of my local RPG retailers is so awesome she wants to come to Games on Demand to run games just so she can learn what games to feature in her store and how to teach them to her customers!
  • Right. I think once you get them in the mindset of "this isn't some Platonic Ideal of Wolverine, this is your version of Wolverine", that can solve a lot of issues. This is why character customization even for "feature" PCs is so important.
  • Posted By: jenskotIf anyone is running any Marvel Launch parties, post about them here!
    Not a Launch Party per se, but I am running "Breakout" for ENWorld Chicago Gameday 31.

https://www.facebook.com/chicagogameday
    http://gameday.buzzmo.com/

Player sign-up starts this Monday night.
  • John, you are an inspiration! A living machine of Marvel mojo!

... ahem. Anyway, you rock. :)
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: jenskotDownload theHero Cheat Sheet PDFand theWatcher Cheat Sheet PDFhere!
    FYI, all of the headers (the Helvetica Black or whatever) show up as gobbledy-gook in Mac Preview (and GoodReader on my iPad 2). Looks fine in Acrobat Pro, though.

EDIT: So awesome! Don't get me wrong!
  • Thank Mark!

The headers are now all fixed on Mac Preview and GoodReader.

Please let me know what else I can do to make the cheat sheets easier to use!

Rock,
    John
  • edited March 2012
    John, these are great! I printed them off yesterday and used them in a game that was being run by a first-time GM. Your cheat sheet totally helped Molly from Runaways use her super-strength to rip the Carnage symbiote out of her own throat by drawing on her own panic and fear (d10 emotional stress).

There were some things the Watcher was doing during the game that I didn't understand. Now I've had a look at your Hero Cheat Sheet a little more closely, I'd suggest thinking about the following:

- Moving the first two points in 'Adjusting Effect Dice' ('If your total is 5 or more ...' and 'If you step up an Effect die ...') to the Rolling Dice section. I'd put them between Steps 12 and 13.

- In the 'Using Plot Points before you roll' section, I'd move 'Add one of your own stress dice' higher in the list. It's an awesome option that I totally overlooked until the end of the game.

- In the 'Rolling Dice' section, you might want to do something to indicate that Step 11 is a little different to the other steps (as it tells you to repeat the previous 10 steps for your opposition). I was thinking that putting a little circle around the '11' might help distinguish it a bit.

And there one thing in the 'Plot Points before you roll' section that is still unclear to me: what is a trait? What does 'Add a second trait from a trait group' mean? Is a trait group any one of the boxes on your datafile?

Again, awesome work. I'm looking forward to taking MHRP for another spin now I've got the basics down.
  • edited March 2012
    First launch party = big success!

Photos...

We expected maybe 20 people (this was all last minute).

We had over 40!

24 people wrote down their information to be alerted when the book would be available (other people also wanted to know but understandably didn't want to give away any personal info). Our local retailer could have easily sold 30 books in less than 4 hours. Many people left excited and eager to play again. Some people left thinking, "fun but not the game for me." Which is also a great success. No game is for everyone and we helped save them money!

2 players had never played an RPG before (they heard about the event from a comic book store a block away) and they got into it right away.

Several people were hardcore Champions and Mutants & Masterminds players and the game clashed heavily with their expectations. We had a long talk about it with 2 of the players who didn't love the game but the conversation really made for some great food for thought.

We setup a Shield Staging Area...

It was a shared table for GMs to grab supplies. I also used it as an entry point for players. I explained the game briefly, set expectations, ran them through an example conflict, helped them choose characters, and then got them into the next available game. Bam!

Lots of thumbs up!

The person playing Thing drew out the action:

Not to be outdone...

There were also 2 tables of Pathfinder players who on their breaks wanted to know what this Marvel thing was about:

The tables were filled with comic and gaming joy:

I can't wait for tomorrow! Different store, different people, new fun!

2 of my local comic book stores also expressed interest in potential launch parties.

We even had 2 people who almost never GM step up and GM Marvel... and they did an amazing job! We had lots of GMs and co-GMs tagging in and out. Did I mention how much fun this was?
  • John, bloody awesome, mate!

I want to hear more about this "GM training" business. Were you all running the same scenario?

How formal was the training? Did all the GMs play as players with you first? How did you go about doing this?

How did you identify the skills you needed to pass on or train?
  • Several of the GMs played in 3 games with me.

I ran the first game, co-GMed the second game with them, and then I played the 3rd game where they GMed alone. In some cases these weren't full games, just an hour or two.

We all ran the same scenario. And I created a cheat sheet for the scenario itself, reducing it from 20 packed pages to 9 sparse and focused pages. I also created the cheat sheets linked in this thread to make their jobs as easy as possible. Additionally, most of the game tables today had 2 GMs so they could help each other out.
  • These photos make me the happiest guy.
  • Thanks, John!

Did this "training" mostly consist of teaching the scenario and the rules, or were there more subjective elements too (style, attitude, certain GM tricks, etc)?
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: Steve HickeyJohn, these are great! I printed them off yesterday and used them in a game that was being run by a first-time GM. Your cheat sheet totally helped Molly from Runaways use her super-strength to rip the Carnage sympiote out of her own throat by drawing on her own panic and fear (d10 emotional stress).

There were some things the Watcher was doing during the game that I didn't understand. Now I've had a look at your Hero Cheat Sheet a little more closely, I'd suggest thinking about the following:

- Moving the first two points in 'Adjusting Effect Dice' ('If your total is 5 or more ...' and 'If you step up an Effect die ...') to the Rolling Dice section. I'd put them between Steps 12 and 13.

- In the 'Using Plot Points before you roll' section, I'd move 'Add one of your own stress dice' higher in the list. It's an awesome option that I totally overlooked until the end of the game.

- In the 'Rolling Dice' section, you might want to do something to indicate that Step 11 is a little different to the other steps (as it tells you to repeat the previous 10 steps for your opposition). I was thinking that putting a little circle around the '11' might help distinguish it a bit.

And there one thing in the 'Plot Points before you roll' section that is still unclear to me: what is a trait? What does 'Add a second trait from a trait group' mean? Is a trait group any one of the boxes on your datafile?

Again, awesome work. I'm looking forward to taking MHRP for another spin now I've got the basics down.
    Awesome feedback Steve! I will note this for my next revision. I've also been soliciting advice from each GM to revise the sheets to maximize efficiency and utility,

One quick note about:
    Posted By: Steve Hickey- Moving the first two points in 'Adjusting Effect Dice' ('If your total is 5 or more ...' and 'If you step up an Effect die ...') to the Rolling Dice section. I'd put them between Steps 12 and 13.
    This is what it was like at first but 2 GMs asked that we revise it as the additional steps intimidated several players. My preference was to keep them part of the list but after the 3rd complaint we moved them. Doesn't mean they need to stay that way but I just wanted to give you some background. I also can release the Cheat Sheets as editable files at some point in case anyone wants to make their own versions. One size doesn't fit all and I'd love to empower as many people as I can.

Edit: I think I've come up with a good compromise!
  • John, not for the first time, I want to kiss you.
  • So great....I should doodle my games more. They would be way worse than those pictures. But it's still so fun
  • Steve, I've made most of your suggested changes. I'm going to wait to post the updated sheets till after today's launch party as I'll have the chance to get feedback from 4 more GMs.
  • edited March 2012
    I had a great time!

A couple of observations from having played twice now:

I really like the What If? Aspect of the game, and it made for some really interesting plot twists, but the idea of the characters being whomever the players wanted them to be took a bit of adjustment. It was occasionally a little frustrating to have the tendency for broad comedy drive some of the players to playing cartoon versions of the characters; the dude playing Iron Man in one game played him as the Twisted Toy Faire theater comical drunk Iron Man, for example, and that definitely took some adjustment. I suspect it'll be a good idea if you're going to play this with friends, especially comic readers, to have a frank and open conversation about how much drifting from the source material you're cool with.

The other minor pitfall that I ran into was that because this is a moderately complex game, or at least the dice pool mechanic is not immediately intuitive, the GM really needs to be disciplined about fiction-first play. There was a certain amount of people responding to the villain moves by immediately assembling dice pools, rather than actually saying what they did, then using the resulting action to guide building the dice pool. On one or two occasions, both GMs even caught themselves saying what the villain did, then 'OK, build your defense pool' before even asking what the PCs actually did in response. This is easily dealt with, of course, but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it because it stood out to me in both games.

But those were really the only potential hiccups I noted. Even with the cacophony of that cave-like space at the Strat, it went really well, I had a great time, and the format, with John staging and tutoring the basic concepts before handing people off to more involved play groups, was a model of best practices that the hobby sorely needs for events like this.

John, the best part of all this is your willingness (eagerness!) to share this stuff to help other people run great events, too. There's way too much reinventing the wheel going on with productions like this, and sharing and perhaps centralizing these practices is a great step forward.
  • edited March 2012
    Day 2 complete!

We moved from Manhattan to the new 20 Sided Store in Brooklyn and introduced about 21 more people to Marvel!

We had quite a few obstacles to overcome. Local trains weren't working, the store accidentally marked the event on their calendar as private, and there was even less time to promote the event than Saturday's. But none the less we had 3 full games plus more people watching and asking questions.

One player was a co-owner of a comic book store in Queens and commented, "why aren't you guys doing this in comic book stores?" And he's right, we have a lot of famous comic book stores in NYC that would make for incredible locations for Marvel Heroic events. Both gamers and non-gamers commented (paraphrased):

"This game feels like it was made first for comic book fans, second for RPG fans. Games like Mutants & Masterminds feels like an RPG with a superhero theme on top. This is superhero to its core and breaks many expectations. Many RPG fans that play super hero games had some trouble with the game but fans of comics had no problem with it. Yet it's mostly RPG fans that will hear about the game. The people this is great for won't know it exists."

That said, several of the comic book fans were confused why there was no Hulk or Thor (especially with the Avengers movie coming soon). They also laughed at several of the D-list super villains. Although they were really worried when Count Nefaria showed up, where I had no idea how big of a deal he is (even though I've been a comic fan longer than an RPG fan). The comic fans also really liked Blackout as the introductory Event.

The game I ran was wonderful. One person was neither a comic book, nor had they ever played an RPG before (they play Magic the Gathering). The group was split male and female, scewed early 20s. Black Panther asked Storm on a date. Spider-Man had to convince MJ not to go on a photo shoot that would be her big break to stay at home and take care of a sick Aunt May while he tried to stop Carnage. Iron Man formed a new Avengers team and bantered with everyone and anyone. Storm fought her claustrophobia. Shield agents were possessed by Carnage. Ms. Marvel and Black Panther both absorbed d12 energy blasts from Count Nefaria and used them against him! Black Panther used a Watcher Opportunity to build an energy wall Resource to keep any convicts from fleeing. Daredevil was forced to relive horrible memories due to telepathic attack causing him to go berserk and trying to murder an unconscious Carnage. The team had to stop Daredevil before he became the thing he fights against. Fantastic!
  • "The people this is great for won't know it exists."

Sigh.
  • In the last 14 days I've run Marvel for 36 different players.

Quotes I heard:

- "I feel like I'm actually Spider-Man."
    - "These character sheets have way too much stuff on them, I thought this would be complicated... and it's not... it's really simple."
    - "SFX are the best part!"
    - "Awesome... it feels like a video game with multi-hit combos."
    - "Blackpanther's Milestones turn this into the movie, Coming to America."
    - "This is ridiculously fast! I don't have to roll damage? Or to counter attack? Great!"
    - "I love how initiative works, I'm going to steal it for D&D!"
    - "If you like this, I think you should play Dogs in the Vineyard!"
    - "OMG... Count Nefaria... wait... he was way too easy!"
    - "I LOVE the Doom Pool!"

Questions people asked me:

- "What's Menace Master?" (asked over 10 times)
    - "Where's Deadpool? Thor? Hulk?"
    - "Why does everyone want to play Black Panther?"
    - "How much weight can I carry exactly with d10 superhuman strength?"
    - "Can you really play this long term? It's so easy to earn XP soon all my traits will be crazy!"
    - "If I roll the Doom Pool is it gone?"
    - "What does spend mean? Is it gone, gone?"

Random Observations:

- Making it clear that canon doesn't matter and this is more like a "What If" saved a lot of headaches.
    - People went crazy trying to earn XP, especially when XP was tokens you collected and other people were jealous of each other's piles.
    - But when it came time to spend XP, no one cared. They got all excited when they heard the word "unlockables" but didn't care about any of them.
    - People were confused by the term "total".
    - People kept wanting to help each other without rolling.
    - People kept wanting to share Plot Points.
    - Everyone loves counter attacking!
  • Posted By: Bret GillanThese photos make me the happiest guy.
    Me too for a different reason! I showed the one of my son punching me above the bald spot to demonstrate the pose in our drawing of Colossus punching Vulture. My wife is black and was like "hey there are a lot of black guys in this picture, what gives?"

"Superhero gaming I think; nerdNYC is awesome and reaches everywhere, but this event was really diverse. The first time I ever interacted with a black guy as a peer" - I grew up in a super WASPy town - "was at a convention playing Champions, and it seems to me that guys like Ta-Nehisi Coates are comics fans first and RPG fans second."

"OK you two should do more of that then!" We go to a reasonably mixed public school but all the black or brown kids (mixed marriages are actually more common than any other!) in his class are girls and this has been something on our minds as parents.

I am super glad that my marching orders are to make mine Marvel more often! It was incredibly fun just to leaven my usual diet of scrawny, ill-fated murder-hoboes trying to get a ton of copper out of a bloody hole in the ground with all this flying about the Manhattan skyline being invulnerable ultra-celebs.

Best of all was enjoying a RPG alongside my son and having him be the one to school me - "Dad, that's Count Nefaria!!!" and (giving my wife and I our next project) James trying to softshoe past the sexism while showing he knew it was there - "well, one of the heroes couldn't handle the power and flipped out" and my son saying in unison with everyone else "Scarlet Witch" (duh).

I didn't have any conflict with canon lawyers at our table, everyone was really happy to help fill me in even if they weren't nine-year-olds grooving on role reversal. And I was surprised how much comics stuff I turned out to know, or at least be able to project myself into while other people worried about the big picture. At one point James was like "soon we will roll dice" and I said "no need I have a mental movie playing in my head of just how we're getting to the fight scene, the special effects are great I could watch it for hours."

Also the Keys for experience were as tight as James promised. My son and I competed to see who could be the biggest XP-whore. I can't be the particular Iron Man caricature who gave Jim so much pain, because mine was only pretending to be drunk so he could get XP for lying to his teammates about his drinking. Meanwhile Colossus really is getting drunk on Russian beer, my son says, because he wants XP for asserting his heritage. Good times ensue!
  • Thanks for the pictures and commentary John!
  • Posted By: jenskot"Why does everyone want to play Black Panther?"
    Heh, because of the awesome seeping out of him? :-)
    I fell in love with him from the animated series (I didn't know it was a BET/Marvel crossover project; it makes total sense in hindsight), and the opening intro alone brings chills of awesome to spine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogj0_8rw48
    (Black Panther aside, I really was interested in playing one of the loyal tattooed shaved-head powerful female guards (Mamluk analogue?) with the rifles next to the floating throne!)

Only problem is, it's hard imagining him coming to the US and doing US-based stuff for whatever reason, unless it directly tied back to the safety of his kingdom.

-Andy
  • edited March 2012
    If I ran additional Marvel launch parties and had more time and resources I would:

- Run them in Comic Book stores, Comic Con, and Cosplay Cons (Connecticut Con has 7,000 people running around in Cosplay, a large percentage as Marvel characters, a crazy number of people as Deadpool).

- Create a new intro scenario that involves the characters from the Marvel vs. Capcom video game (more kids play that game than read comics). Even if you can't get the rights for Capcom, you can at least focus on the Marvel characters in those games.

- Play the new Avengers Trailer and Marvel vs. Capcom Trailer in the background or before the event starts (almost all of the female players in our games knew Marvel from the movies, not the comics).

- Have the GMs dress up in Cosplay. Or at least I would! A few more months in the gym and I could pull off spandex! (ok, probably not) At Cosplay focused conventions, create some sort of in game reward for players showing off their costumes or using them somehow in the game.

- Redesign the character sheets. Move Milestones to index cards (so you can swap them easily with Event Milestones). Simplify the text and include Graphical Icons so it feels more like a giant Magic the Gathering card. Include character cards for tracking initiative that have the characters picture on them.

- Design a graphical Doom Pool card that tells everyone what the dice can be spent on and includes a warning about what can happen if it reaches 2D12 that everyone on the table can see!

- Include template cards for stress, assets, complications, and resources. The asset for example would say things like, "good for 1 roll" with a check box and additional rules like "spend a plot point and make this last for the whole fight!"

- I would design the intro scenario so I could easily tag in and out new GMs. I already started doing this. I'll run enough to show players how to play and GMs how to run, then have someone co-GM, then promote them to full GM as I go help other people.

- Include random raffle prizes for in game achievements. Spend 10XP to enter your name to win something cool. And scale the prizes based on the number of participants. The more people who unlock this achievement, the better the reward.

- Include take home packages, with most of what you need to run the game, for people to take home with them and cards to point them to online communities where they can learn more, share their experiences, and share any content they make. If printing the material costs too much, include QR codes on all the materials people play with so they can download and print it all themselves.

- 6 different people who had the PDF pointed out that although the rules themselves are perfect for comic book fans, the rules text isn't. Perhaps no rules text is. I would probably rewrite a bunch of the text as well based on usability feedback from 10, 12, and 14 year olds. But Youtube videos might be a better fit, I would be tempted to create a Youtube tutorial people watch before playing. Maybe one that's broken down step by step and you click to move forward or rewatch what you just saw. You could even do this for GMs. Like a youtube video game walkthrough video... do a walk through for Breakout that GMs can watch and get all the basics fast. One of the major reasons (maybe the number one reason) why Magic the Gathering exploded again and is now the #1 selling non-electronic game in the US is because of the virtual Xbox game that taught people how to play Magic so that they can then go and play it in person with their friends. Apps would be expensive but Youtube videos would be a much easier and cheaper first step.

And much more!
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: Jim CrockerEven with the cacophony of that cave-like space at the Strat, it went really well, I had a great time, and the format, with John staging and tutoring the basic concepts before handing people off to more involved play groups, was a model of best practices that the hobby sorely needs for events like this.

John, the best part of all this is your willingness (eagerness!) to share this stuff to help other people run great events, too. There's way too much reinventing the wheel going on with productions like this, and sharing and perhaps centralizing these practices is a great step forward.
    Thanks Jim! I'm glad you had fun. I'm also sure that there is a lot we could improve so if anyone has suggestions, let us know. We don't have additional launch parties planned (probably wouldn't plan them till the books are available) but you never know.

The next stop for me is Pax East!

While I was running Marvel events, Terry was MCing at a Vegetarian Con for 3-5,000 people. Terry actually goes to more cons than I do since it is part of her job. But I think one of our eventual goals is to run conventions of some sort full time. Now if we could only merge Vegans with RPGs! It could even balance the gender divide!
  • Posted By: TavisI am super glad that my marching orders are to make mine Marvel more often! It was incredibly fun just to leaven my usual diet of scrawny, ill-fated murder-hoboes trying to get a ton of copper out of a bloody hole in the ground with all this flying about the Manhattan skyline being invulnerable ultra-celebs.
    Several GMs commented:

"It's so easy to run super heroes, I just say someone is in trouble and everyone rushes to help!"

"When I run Shadowrun, we spend a lot of time negotiating how much the heroes get paid. In Cthulhu we spend a lot of time trying to rationalize why we would be doing these crazy things to ourselves."

I should note, all those things can be a lot of fun. But I felt it as well, GM wise, it's freeing to just have people focused on doing good.
    Posted By: TavisMe too for a different reason! I showed the one of my son punching me above the bald spot to demonstrate the pose in our drawing of Colossus punching Vulture. My wife is black and was like "hey there are a lot of black guys in this picture, what gives?"

"Superhero gaming I think; nerdNYC is awesome and reaches everywhere, but this event was really diverse. The first time I ever interacted with a black guy as a peer" - I grew up in a super WASPy town - "was at a convention playing Champions, and it seems to me that guys like Ta-Nehisi Coates are comics fans first and RPG fans second."

"OK you two should do more of that then!" We go to a reasonably mixed public school but all the black or brown kids (mixed marriages are actually more common than any other!) in his class are girls and this has been something on our minds as parents.
    Thanks for sharing Tavis!

My comic book, wrestling, and martial arts friends are mainly non-whites. My work friends (in various creative fields) are 70% women. My vegetarian friends are 90% women. But as I spend more time playing RPGs, I spend more time away from women and non-whites (understandably this isn't the case with RPG everywhere). NerdNYC has a strong female representation, so that's changing quite a bit. Most of my games now are usually 20-50% women. None of this is a problem (for me). I don't spend time thinking my jobs with 70-90% women need more men. But it is interesting how different RPG content attracts different audiences. Sometimes the general RPG experience is much less important than the specific theme. And most people, while they enjoyed the game we played, were not as interested in the rules (still interested but not as interested) and more interested in the social experience. Sharing and reveling in their passions with friends. And since my favorite part of GMing games is experiencing different people, I may need to diversify the kinds of themes I run.
  • Posted By: jenskot "Why does everyone want to play Black Panther?"
    The Christopher Priest 1998-2003 run was really well-written with experimental non-sequential story-telling. Not enough people picked it up. Worth revisiting. The whole run is strong but particularly the first third and the last fifth.

This looks so fun, John. I picked up the pdf thIs weekend and am looking forward to digging into it.
  • Thanks for this thread John and the PDFs you've posted. I'm running MHR Wednesday so they and the advice given will be very useful. One question, are the cheat-sheets the latest revision?
    John
  • We all had a pretty good time at Rainy Day Games on Saturday, although we didn't have nearly as many people as we were hoping. Aside from myself, there was Adam, one of the store managers, and three others, two of whom are D&D Encounters people (as well as some of the organizers for GameStorm). Still, I broke out four boxes of cookes, handed out sheets, and we made the best of it. Spidey, Cap, Iron Man and Wolvie all hit the ground running, and made the best of it.

Before-hand, I had printed out several copies of the cheat-sheets from Jenskot, had my action counters, and I even made 4.25x5.5" cards for all the villains, from the Mutate mob to Zzzax, for easy reference.

Altogether, it went very well, and while we were all trying to grok the system in play, we all were able to help each other out quite a bit. I probably should've studied up more on how to play the various villains, as they were defeated fairly easily (except for the villainous mob, which managed to provide quite a bit of challenge initially). I think Carnage ended up being the most dangerous. Part of it, too, was that I wasn't getting enough Doom dice to be able to activate the various Event effects, like being able to re-arm and revitalize the escaped villains, so they were all fairly weak. The players rolled very few 1s, so for the first half of the first Act, I barely had more than 4D6 in my Doom Pool.

Still, we all had fun, and I'm talking with Rainy Day about running monthly Marvel events, once GameStorm is over. I'll probably have to bring along a big ol' box of HeroClix, and maybe some very basic maps, since the one complaint about the Event was that some players (the D&D Encounter people) were having trouble visualizing who was where and where they could go without some visual reference...and I must admit, I kinda like having the visual references as well.
  • Posted By: jenskot- I would design the intro scenario so I could easily tag in and out new GMs. I already started doing this. I'll run enough to show players how to play and GMs how to run, then have someone co-GM, then promote them to full GM as I go help other people.
    This is a fantastic idea.

"By the end of the event, I was running the game. This RPG stuff is easy! I bought a copy of the game and am going to start a group."
  • Posted By: jenskotThe headers are now all fixed on Mac Preview and GoodReader.
    Still messed up for me; maybe I just have a font issue or something.
  • edited March 2012
    Posted By: TavisPosted By: Bret GillanThese photos make me the happiest guy.
    Me too for a different reason! I showed the one of my son punching me above the bald spot to demonstrate the pose in our drawing of Colossus punching Vulture. My wife is black and was like "hey there are a lot of black guys in this picture, what gives?"No, that is the same reason!

Edit: The diversity and enthusiasm of the crowd, that is.
  • Posted By: buzzPosted By: jenskotThe headers are now all fixed on Mac Preview and GoodReader.
    Still messed up for me; maybe I just have a font issue or something.
    Guessing, I would say it's some sort of cashing issue, that you are still somehow seeing the old files. I just tested it out on GoodReader and Mac Preview on 5 devices. That said, I know it was 100% an issue with the files (not an issue on your side) in the previous version.
    Posted By: John AndersonThanks for this thread John and the PDFs you've posted. I'm running MHR Wednesday so they and the advice given will be very useful. One question, are the cheat-sheets the latest revision?
    John
    They aren't updated yet but will be by tomorrow or so. They are usable as is but I've made a few clarifications and adding info on generating Watcher characters on the fly.
  • Posted By: buzzPosted By: jenskot- I would design the intro scenario so I could easily tag in and out new GMs. I already started doing this. I'll run enough to show players how to play and GMs how to run, then have someone co-GM, then promote them to full GM as I go help other people.

"By the end of the event, I was running the game. This RPG stuff is easy! I bought a copy of the game and am going to start a group."

Yes!

2 people who said they can't GM were GMing when we were done. 1 of them is starting their own group.
  • Cheers John.
    John
  • Posted By: jenskot- I would design the intro scenario so I could easily tag in and out new GMs. I already started doing this. I'll run enough to show players how to play and GMs how to run, then have someone co-GM, then promote them to full GM as I go help other people.

Yes!

2 people who said they can't GM were GMing when we were done. 1 of them is starting their own group.

That's really cool. Can you tell us a bit about how you put this together?

Is it largely a product of the game and scenario design, coupled with your various play aids, or was it something you feel you could with other games, as well?
  • edited March 2012
    This was posted over at RPGnet but people here may find it useful.

I have been creating PC sheets for my high school players. These are a little more visual and stripped back from the official versions. Warning: my layout skills are atrocious and this was done on Word

The idea is to have the players be able to place a dice on each speech bubble, gather them in the centre as the dice pool, roll them and then allocate them to Total and Effect to the left and right. I have also placed Plot Points and Resources next to the related Trait and tried to match the shape of the prop I am using. Plot points are circular poker chips and Resources are recorded on square post-it notes.

There are three significant changes that I have made from the RAW:

1. I have removed Limits and these will be a Watcher driven only. I want the players to focus on Distinctions as their source of PP.
    2. Milestones have been replaced by a single line, much like a Belief. I will award the players XP based on Milestones as normal, but think that the single statement will be easier for them to process to start.
    3. I have preselected certain parts of the SFX to make them faster to use, as I can include the modified dice to be used instead of a modifer.

Captain America: http://db.tt/yJoa9jZg
    Iron-Man: http://db.tt/5Wohr2YS
    Luke Cage: http://db.tt/k5iB6RIO
    Ms Marvel: http://db.tt/YvtuDXmH
    Shadowcat: http://db.tt/7JxTpi4B
    Spider-Man: http://db.tt/Niozt5oq
    Spider-Woman: http://db.tt/TJP0xhzS

Any comments or feedback welcome.
  • Cool concept, Luke!

How does one keep track of the different kinds of stress on your sheet?
  • I have three coloured paper clips matching the colour of the words. It works most of the time and only becomes an issue if you have all three Stress at the same level.
  • Posted By: jenskotRedesign the character sheets
    Agreed!

I like what Jeremy did, but he had a TON of content to fit on there. No easy task. The material could be cut down a lot, condensed to one page, with bigger art, and it would be great for a quick tutorial game.
  • To be fair, the second page of the hero datafiles is just biography and stuff. You can ditch that once you've read it a couple times.

Cheers,
    Cam
  • Or if, like me, ever since you stopped regularly buying comics in the 90s, you've been creating lengthy post-cutoff adventures for all the characters and you can fill 900 notebooks with them because you love the character SO MUCH
  • Posted By: SkywalkerI have been creating PC sheets for my high school players. These are a little more visual and stripped back from the official versions. Warning: my layout skills are atrocious and this was done on Word

The idea is to have the players be able to place a dice on each speech bubble, gather them in the centre as the dice pool, roll them and then allocate them to Total and Effect to the left and right. I have also placed Plot Points and Resources next to the related Trait and tried to match the shape of the prop I am using. Plot points are circular poker chips and Resources are recorded on square post-it notes.
    I like this idea! I could see redesigning the character sheet with speech bubbles next to each Trait Box indicating "pick one trait from this box and put it here". I like that "Affiliations" become "Who You Are WIth" and Specialties are "What You Know".
  • I really like the back page of the current character sheet. We had a lots of people who were unfamiliar with the characters and the back page helped them immensely.

It's the front page I would redesign to make it less intimidating and easier to teach. Although I completely understand why it is the way it is now. And it's very attractive, and useful.
  • Redesigning a character sheet is like a hobby for many people, of course!

I like John Harper's version of the Leverage RPG sheet more than the one in the game. Which is kind of why I asked him to develop a template for the Marvel RPG. (Also because he's such a stand up guy.)

Cheers,
    Cam