Mouse Guard splitting screen time rule?

edited May 2012 in Story Games
I was talking with friends about MG and they told me there was a rule that you can't order other mice to do things - frex, if the patrol leader says "Joe, scout ahead", then the patrol leader has to roll the patrol leader's Scout and Joe can only help. A rule intended to stop one player from telling all the other players what to do.

Is this true? I'm looking at page 70, Players' Role in the GM's Turn, where it says 'players should ... make suggestions about the best course of action.' So if there's a rule like that where is it?

Comments

• I don't know about ordering a mouse to do something. But there IS a rule that basically says, "If you suggest it, you roll it." Basically, if you say, "Hey! We should totally craft a boat!" Congratulations! It's your mouse that's crafting the boat!

I don't know what page that's on though but I know it's in there.

Jesse
  • On page 87, in Who Makes the Test?, it gives the rule Jesse describes, and then also gives that caveat that players can come up with a plan during table chatter and the that patrol leader can delegate who does what.

When I've played, I've always assumed the patrol leader could give orders but that it was implicitly assumed that they shouldn't be a jerk about it, but I don't know if there's any basis in the rules for playing it the way we did.
  • edited May 2012
    Aha. It's on p. 87. But it's kind of confusing. (ooh, cross post)

Page 87, Who Makes The Test?

The player to volunteer first or think of the plan to overcome the obstacle must make the roll. It doesn't matter if he has the lowest ability or doesn't even have the right skill...

(But then it says - )

Table Chatter DIscussions

If the group comes up with a plan to overcome an obstacle ... the patrol leader may delegate who tackles which part of the obstacle.

So sounds to me like Bob can still say to Joe 'You should totally scout ahead' - it just stops Bob from saying to the GM, 'We scout ahead. Oh, Joe should roll that, he's best.' - it doesn't stop the "'helpful' player giving you advice' problem.
  • While we're on the subject of obscure rules from Mouse Guard, I remember one time Deliverator told me that when you're designing a mission, the rules require that you insert a big conflict. (I can't remember what the rules call this, but it's the big Fighting Matrix that Isn't Always About Fighting, you know the one I mean.) I have gone through the rules multiple times and I've never seen that rule. Is it really in there?
  • James,

Not to my knowledge. There is a rule like that in Burning Empires. If you choose certain Maneuvers in the Infection mechanic you HAVE to do a Firefight or Duel of Wits during that Maneuver.

Jesse
  • edited May 2012
    Posted By: James_NostackWhile we're on the subject of obscure rules fromMouse Guard, I remember one time Deliverator told me that when you're designing a mission, the rulesrequirethat you insert a big conflict. (I can't remember what the rules call this, but it's the big Fighting Matrix that Isn't Always About Fighting, you know the one I mean.) I have gone through the rules multiple times and I've never seen that rule. Is it really in there?
    No way. I realize you want pages and I'm not going to be able to help you at the moment, but this is definitely not true.

You can have an entire session without any big C Conflicts. The rules don't mandate that they go in every GM turn.
  • Both of these sound like myths to me.
  • Posted By: Hans c-oI realize you want pages and I'm not going to be able to help you at the moment, but this is definitely not true.
    Fortunately, there are no pages to quote that DON'T say what he thinks they say! ;)
    (Or, perhaps, every page may be quoted...?)
  • Yeah, requiring a conflict is wrong.

The rules do say to come up with two PROBLEMS for the GM's turn though. A problem could be a conflict but it doesn't have to be. It could merely be a single roll or obstacle to overcome or get pounded by.

Also, there's nothing in the rules that says that a mouse has to follow the orders of the patrol leader, BUT if there is a disagreement then the patrol leader should make the call. I'm guessing this is to keep the game moving. If there are many instances of the mice arguing, it's best to handle those issues during the player's turn.

Also, if a player is constantly going against the rest of the group on the GM's turn, it's possible that Mouse Guard may not be the game they want to play. There's a reason that players can ONLY play as members of the Mouse Guard and not any other type of mouse or animal; the game wouldn't work.
  • Hmmmph. It *should* be a rule, though. :-)

I'm kinda-sorta joking, but not entirely. Conflicts are the best chance to earn checks. If I'm running in a situation where I'll be able to do an entire second GM's turn / player turn cycle, I'd be happy to save the big-C Conflict for the second one. But if you don't have a Conflict during the GM's turn, it's very likely the mice will enter the player's turn with zero checks.

Matt
  • Posted By: Deliverator
    But if you don't have a Conflict during the GM's turn, it's very likely the mice will enter the player's turn with zero checks.
    When I first started plaything I thought this too until I reread the rules on Complex Obstacles. Complex Obstacles require multiple rolls but aren't Conflicts. So Complex Obstacles tend to generate just as many roles as Conflicts.

I've had 4 hour sessions go by just from a series of escalating Twists through a pair of Complex Obstacles without any Conflicts.

Jesse
  • edited May 2012
    Posted By: DeliveratorBut if you don't have a Conflict during the GM's turn, it's very likely the mice will enter the player's turn with zero checks.
    IIRC all mice get one check for free.
  • Jesse and Johnzo — yes, both those things are true. I do think that if your two required obstacles are both simple tests that's probably too little.

Matt
  • Thanks everybody: first, for answering my question; second, for answering my question in such a way that I knew more about a Crane game than Deliverator, which I am sure I will never lord over him or anything.