Stuff to Watch April 2013

edited March 2013 in Stuff to Watch
What stuff should we watch, read, play?

1.Feel free to respond here in-thread to another link posted.

a. If you're looking to start a conversation, perhaps take your comment and create a new thread with it in the Stuff to Watch category.

b.Otherwise, to prevent too many comments in the thread, number your response (first response: [1]; second response [2]; third response [3]). If you see that you're the second person to post, "Wow, that looks cool!" to a post here, then put a "[2]" at the top of your post. Three posts ([3]) is the limit: The fourth person to post should just take their comment and create a new thread, to carry the discussion over there further.

Why?

Because these threads are great: We can link to little things being talked about on the web in general, on blogs, or other forums that might be noteworthy, without having to dedicate a new thread to each and every one (although that, too, is fine if you want to discuss the item further or "open up a discussion").

Responding to these posts with a comment or two is understandable (other times there might be no comments, just cause the link was self-explanatory: nothing to say, lots of heads nodding in agreement). But we don't want to create a huge discussion in the middle of the thread: Some folks get a lot out of these threads, and don't want to look back to see the "10 latest posts" just to see that it's a heated discussion of something from a previous page.

Cool?

Cool.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I thought I'd share the beta draft of the Left Coast quickstart, which contains rules for running a 1.5 hour game about Californian science-fiction authors in a Philip K. Dick-ian dystopia.

Radio Free Left Coast (Beta draft)

This is for anyone who wants to play a game in the next few weeks. I have a ton of further changes that I want to make for the next (and probably final) draft before the kickstarter I'm writing it as a reward for launches at the end of this month.

If you’d like more information, here's the main Story Games thread.

• edited April 2013
    Quinn Murphy, a blogger whose stuff (particularly on 13th Age) I love to read, put together a group for the intersection of Hip Hop and RPGs on G+ ( https://plus.google.com/communities/118242448567900146873 ). Currently in its nascent stages. Anyway, it's a think tank for two tastes that taste great together, so approach respectfully.
  • The Origins Awards Nominees have been announced. I'm rooting for Monsterhearts and expecting Marvel Heroic to take it.
  • Do you blog about RPGs? There's a fantasy game appreciation event that's coming up on April 17th, check this out to participate:
    http://tsathogga.blogspot.com/2013/04/call-for-swords-wizardry-bloggers.html
  • A friend of mine and I were joking around, and laughing really hard, and I was kind of drunk, so I decided to take the joke too far, and after I sobered up, I decided that too far was really not far enough, so now I've taken it REALLY too far, and as a result there is this fake Twitter feed for the Urban Fantasy Baseball League, a fictional league containing the Magical Realist League (where things happen like managers turn into swallows and a woman cries india ink tears after reading a sad poem) and the Paranormal Pulp League (where things happen like vampire pitchers face off against their long-time lovers with two outs in the bottom of the ninth or a hard working succubus shortstop must escape the vengeance of her hellish agent).

You can read the feed @UrbFantBaseball

I would really like more people to get involved in writing Tweets (or whatever) for this, if you would be interested in throwing in, PM me.
  • Steve Jackson games offers to take over the business side of making games for you.
    I can think of a few games that would do well in SJ's hands if given the chance to resurrect them:

AT-43
    Untold
    Z-G
  • Push: New Thinking About Roleplaying (2006) is now re-available as a free PDF download, and I just posted an "editor's commentary" on the process of putting it together and the great people involved. A small piece of indie games history, I hope!

• edited April 2013
    [Push 1]

Push is great! You should all check it out. Actually playing "Mridangam" is totally my white whale.

• According to a post by Ross Cowman on G plus, there will be no Fabricated Realities this year.

;_;
  • Monster Tome is a Kickstarter project to fund 20 high-resolution public domain illustrations of fantasy/sci fi monsters. Which monsters? As a backer, you can help choose!
  • Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures is up and getting some love on DriveThruRPG. It brings story-game style character creation to one-shot play with OSR rules. The preview document is the whole core rules book, but the fun happens in the playbooks.
    [Full disclosure -- I was involved.]
  • Bloom is on Kickstarter right now, with three days remaining. An adventure (video) game about the love between a mother and child, with breathtaking art and some really thoughtful spins on its genre.

I'm really excited about it, and hope it funds. Check it out, back it if you like that sort of thing.
  • Heya,

If you're a game designer and are interested in some interesting monsters for your game, you might check out this Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monstertome/monster-tome

The person doing it is taking suggestions form the backers, turning them into monsters with art, and then making it available to use royalty free. Seems pretty cool to me, so I thought I'd bring it up here. :)

Peace,

-Troy
  • [Monster Tome 2 - as it's been posted twice]

I'm super bummed about the fact that almost all of the female characters are hyper-sexualized. There are multiple metal bikinis on the front page.
  • [Monster Tome 3 and out]

I agree it's a bit worrying, Mcdaldno. Those are just samples of the artist's previous works - maybe those of us who have backed it could talk to Larry Sneed about doing things better for the art created for the Kickstarter.
  • edited April 2013
    We now have Torchbearer, which has been pitched as "Advanced Mouse Guard and Dragons". Purports to make resource management an integral and interesting part of a dungeon crawl. I'm excited.
  • Alison Brie, star of Mad Men and Community, talks a bit about her boyfriend playing Dungeons & Dragons in high school, and she also talks later about the D&D episode of Community.

I found it interesting that a drama student and future actor wasn't grabbed by the idea of playing out a character.

(starts around the 7:10 mark)
  • [Alison Brie 1]
    I know a bunch of people who have been into drama and had very similar experiences to her. The existence of a ruleset (That in the case of the edition she was playing was probably quite a hefty THAC-0 ish kinda thing) and the cod-accent-drama that she describes can really turn someone off who is interested in doing 'proper drama'. When running games for more drama-y people I tend to less rules focused, just let them run with it. Something like Fiasco might be more up her street.
    It might also just be because she doesn't like improv.
  • [Torchbearer 1]

First, awesome and I want to play.

Second, Forbes talks about roleplaying games? What world is this?
  • I wrote a thing about fictional detectives and their #1 moves, maybe it will help you in an RPG mystery if you get stuck.
  • I wrote a thing about fictional detectives and their #1 moves, maybe it will help you in an RPG mystery if you get stuck.
    My favorites on the list and my own preferred game methods already seem to match up fairly well.

• [Torchbearer 1]

First, awesome and I want to play.
    It gets better. Check out the BWHQ and RPG.net threads. There are heaps upon heaps of juicy little details in both threads.
  • On monday I backed both Lords of Gossamer & Shadow and Atlantis: the Second Age, since they look like really interesting games to have.

I've decided to back LoG&S a long before the KS, but Atlantis was an unexpected investment. I was hooked by the full playtest they made available on their KS page, which I liked a lot.

I made a small comment for each on my blog.
  • And now Golden Sky Stories is live.

Kamiya Ryo's Golden Sky Stories (Yuuyake Koyake) is now on Kickstarter. If you were ever interested in a new gaming experience, this is it. It's basically "Hayao Miyazaki's ...uh... small town animal spirit friendship game." Translated and produced by @neko_ewen

Seriously. I've been waiting *years* for this to happen.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nekoewen/golden-sky-stories-heartwarming-role-playing
  • edited April 2013
    Domains at War is for when characters emerge from the dungeon rich enough to build strongholds and muster armies, and come into conflicts as a result. It's written for compatibility with the Adventurer Conqueror King System rules for hirelings, domain management, etc., but is usable with any game that speaks the armor-class-and-hit-points alignment tongue (or can translate).

The Starter Edition has an abstract resolution system covering the basics of what you'd need in a RPG campaign, and is free to download at DTRPG. The complete rules provide more detail about lines of supply, razing occupied territory, and so forth (Campaigns) and offer a tactical resolution system designed to be a fun wargame in its own right (Battles); they're available now for backers of the Kickstarter at the $5 level and above.
  • [D@W 1]

This Kickstarter has the most thoughtful, humble, and useful "Risks and Challenges" section I've seen so far.
  • [Left Coast 2]

After some intense (and, at times, robust) playtesting, I've revised my quickstart for Left Coast. The rules are 25 pages long (plus handouts) and help you run a 1.5 hour game about Californian science-fiction authors in a Philip K. Dick-ian dystopia.

Radio Free Left Coast (Gamma draft)
  • edited April 2013
    [D@W 2]
    This Kickstarter has the most thoughtful, humble, and useful "Risks and Challenges" section I've seen so far.
    That's one part having sat down with Luke wearing his Games Community Manager hat; one part experience with writing informed consent for research documents in my day job; and one part humbling and useful prior experiences with Kickstarter spurring me to approach a new one thoughtfully. I want to start a new thread to talk about that - should it be in Directed Promotion 'cause I'm pimping, or General?

(This answer could be provided in the form of starting the thread).
  • Pat Robertson is back to ranting about the evil of Dungeons and Dragons!

I haven't had the stomach to watch the video yet, but people who have claim they can tell by the pixels that it's not from 30 years ago. Which is kind of astonishing.

(There are some great comments in the Boing Boing thread. Like "Somebody should show him Kill Puppies For Satan!")
  • [Robertson 1]

This is the absolute best moment in a thoroughly hilarious clip:

Knowing glance at camera; sober nod; whisper "yep."
  • Golden Goblin's kickstarter for Island of Ignorance, a book of articles and scenarios for Call of Cthulhu, has gone live.
  • edited April 2013
    That's one part having sat down with Luke wearing his Games Community Manager hat; one part experience with writing informed consent for research documents in my day job; and one part humbling and useful prior experiences with Kickstarter spurring me to approach a new one thoughtfully. I want to start a new thread to talk about that - should it be in Directed Promotion 'cause I'm pimping, or General?

(This answer could be provided in the form of starting the thread).
    Here you are, sir! Please talk away!
  • This Saturday is the monthly #gamenight for Indie+, all on Google Plus!

The theme is comedy, and I'm moderating panels on making comedic RPGs and also on bringing the "fun" to your game sessions.

Plus, there will be a live game of podcaster Fiasco starring Meg and Todd of the Jank Cast and Alex from Geeky and Genki. Follow Indie+ to see the fun unfold. Also, the videos will be up on youtube afterwards.

Indie+ website
  • It sits at the other end of the gaming spectrum, but some people around here might like to have a look at the "Town Guard" playtest in progress...

Town Guard PDF
  • I have always been a huge fan of the mid 90's turn based strategy game "Master of Magic." If you've ever played it, then you know how awesome it was. It's still available on Good Old Games.com. But anyway, there's a group working with some of the original guys on the project to make a spiritual successor called "World of Magic." It looks pretty good and it looks like they're serious. They have a Kickstarter going, and I've already backed it. I figured I'd let the good people here know about it in case anyway is a strategy game fan or a fan of Master of Magic.

Peace,

-Troy
  • Pat Robertson is back to ranting about the evil of Dungeons and Dragons!

I haven't had the stomach to watch the video yet, but people who have claim they can tell by the pixels that it's not from 30 years ago. Which is kind of astonishing.

(There are some great comments in the Boing Boing thread. Like "Somebody should show him Kill Puppies For Satan!")
    This seems like a good time to mention Dark Dungeons: the Movie. It looks like it'll be a blast.
  • [Dark Dungeons Movie 1]
    This seems like a good time to mention Dark Dungeons: the Movie. It looks like it'll be a blast.
    Just looked at the Kickstarter, some of the pledge levels are pretty cool. For under a thousand dollars, you get to be producer and write 5-10 minutes's worth of alternate scenes or alternate endings for the movie. I gotta say, if I didn't have an incredibly important exam coming up in September, just after the filming, I would be all over this.

• There's a Kickstarter up for Inverse World, a sourcebook for Dungeon World featuring an original setting and six classes built to live in it. It looks like hot and cold running cotton candy.