Two player games for playing close to home

edited December 2015 in Story Games
Hi

I'm looking for intense two player games packed with possibilities for hearthwrenching close to home play, what are some awesome ones? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Kevin Allen Jr's Sweet Agatha comes to mind.
  • Breaking the Ice and S/lay w/ Me are my favourites.
  • I had a great time playing Annalise with one other player. It's a GMless game and we just took turns running scenes for each other. The rules are great for wrenching hearts, as the conflict resolution puts multiple things at stake all at once and the player has to figure out what's really important to them.
  • This may be an unusual opinion, but I think that Dogs in the Vineyard can make for some great one-on-one play.

As for Breaking the Ice, I've had trouble understanding how to play from the text. Are there any good tutorials/guides/reviews out there for this game which help explain the procedures?
  • edited December 2015
    Well... I'm in the process of writing a a single player game based on movies like Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow. Feel free to give that a shot if it strikes your fancy.

[Updated the link.]
    http://www.tangent-zero.com/files/Rewind_v05.pdf
  • Thanks, will look into them all!
  • All the games sound great! Can somebody explain what "close to home" means in RPG?
  • Vincent Baker's Murderous Ghosts is literally designed for two players (one player, one GM), and it plays in a very short amount of time, and is replayable. I'm not sure it does the gutwrenching, though.
  • Tim Koppang's Mars Colony and Mars Colony 39 Dark can get very close to home, depending of course on what your home looks like.
  • Vincent Baker's Murderous Ghosts is literally designed for two players (one player, one GM), and it plays in a very short amount of time, and is replayable. I'm not sure it does the gutwrenching, though.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
  • It's in the playtesting stages, but Pelgrane's Gumshoe One-2-One / Cthulhu Confidential looks pretty sweet.
  • All the games sound great! Can somebody explain what "close to home" means in RPG?
    Close to home would be a game that deals with real-world problems. It could be depression, suicide, birth of a child, abuse, addiction, incest, love, marriage, infidelity, buying groceries.... And yes, i know of a game that deals with the horror of a young child sent out to buy milk.
    I believe it's very much a Nordic thing (could be wrong) and pretty much every jeep-form game is close to home.
    Although the lazy buggers never update it, there are a great many games (in English) for free download at jeepen.org, as well as alexandria.dk

• edited January 2016
    Oh, so Sara Williamson and my game 183 Days ( http://www.drivethrucards.com/product/144510/183-Days ) is out: it's a one-on-one game about relationships and love and free will. It's pretty darn close to home.

One of the happiest elements of this, is that people playing the game have created some very positive interactions: I know at least a few people who played it, and then hooked up, right aftter and another pair who had been sort of vaguely uncomfortable/bristly with each other before, and became good friends after.
  • James_Stuart, is there a way to get 183 Days in Europe without shipment from US?
  • This is likely not "close to home" enough, but for some people it might be. At least it's definitely a very "intimate" two-player game, in a more traditional vein (player + GM), with pretty classic story game mechanics:

Thus began the Adventures of Eowyn...