(FEB17) New games for sale, pre-order or crowdfunding

Being possibly the last human on Earth with no "social media" accounts, I find it increasingly difficult to learn of new small press/self-published role-playing games that people are kickstarting, otherwise crowdfunding or just - you know - publishing. Most of the time, I discover them when they just happen to be mentioned here on SG or on blogs I read. Since "boosting the signal" is so important to make small presses & self-publishers be successful, wouldn't it be nice if we kept a thread going just for this purpose?
Furthermore, I suggest re-starting this thread monthly, or maybe quarterly - to keep the new stuff from being preceded by a zillion no-more-relevant posts a year from now, when a new or returning user first clicks on the thread.

TL;DR = Any new games for sale, for free or being crowdfunded? Please post a line here.

Comments

• This 1-month-old post from Bluestocking, a blog I discovered just today, mentions several games I'd never heard about, including: It's of course entirely possible that any of these was previously mentioned in some discussion around here while I wasn't paying attention.
  • John Harper's "Blades In The Dark" was just released by Evil Hat (or is about to be? I'm a KS backer and got my PDF copy a few days ago.)
  • It's getting incredibly hard to stay in touch with new developments without social media, which is one of the reasons I'm trying really hard to stay active here.

That said, there are SO MANY games in development and being released right now that keeping track is almost impossible! It's either wonderful or frightening. Maybe both!
  • This has links to a number of game projects. Most of them didn't do much for me, but some are interesting.
  • I'm very interested in a game that is yet to be released… I'm not sure if it has a release date yet… It's called "The Crown, the Sword, and the Unspeakable Power"... it's supposed to be like Game of Thrones but with some type of power like the Force or something. Wheel Tree Press is releasing it:
    https://wheeltreepress.wordpress.com/page/3/
    I hope it's coming out soon but I kind of doubt it. Anyway, I'm super excited for it. Also, there are AP podcasts of it you can check out.
  • I heard some very promising things about that game a few months back! Glad to hear it's still "in the pipeline".
  • This has links to a number of game projects. Most of them didn't do much for me, but some are interesting.
    Would you care to cherry-pick the ones you felt were interesting?
  • 45 hours left to back Pigsmoke. It's another AW hack - this one about being faculty at a modern-day magical academy. Which sounds like a cool idea, actually (and perhaps reminds me of a certain notorious Roach).
  • "Smoke And Glass" also just emerged from the crowdfunding womb — backers got their PDFs today, and it should be going live on DTRPG soonish. "Smoke and Glass is a steampunk urban fantasy setting for Fate Core written by Abigail Corfman and presented by Phoenix Outlaw Productions. This unique setting welcomes players to the city of Kroy, where the technology of a steampunk-Dickensian inspired world meets storybook fantasy and magic. Players take on the roles of Kroy's diverse citizenry as they fight to claim their place on the mean streets of this dangerous city. The game features a new class system, custom stunts, and unique magic rules created to enhance and expand on the already powerful Fate Core system."
  • Alas for the Awful Sea is yet another AW hack, this one with a really interesting historical background, in my opinion: seafaring in the British Isles in the 1800s, with an eye on folklore and myth. It's on Kickstarter and I backed it.
  • The games aren't new, but the charity initiative is: @JArcane is now donating all proceeds from Bedroom Wall Press games to the Council on American-Islamic Relations. John's games include:
  • 6 days left to support Monkey 2nd Edition on Kickstarter. As I write, I'm browsing D101's website to learn more about the game.
  • This may be a little shameless self-promotion, but my new game DUSK just came out :)

It's a rules-light, post-apocalyptic RPG with a full campaign setting and bestiary included.

DUSK on DriveThruRPG
  • Alas for the Awful Sea is yet another AW hack, this one with a really interesting historical background, in my opinion: seafaring in the British Isles in the 1800s, with an eye on folklore and myth. It's on Kickstarter and I backed it.
    That's the main one I was going to cite as "interesting" from that list. ;)

Though honestly, the info they have posted doesn't do a good job of informing me about whether it's good or not. The character sheets are super barebones and don't give me a strong feel for the game.
  • This may be a little shameless self-promotion, but my new game DUSK just came out :)
    You're welcome! Self-promotion of this kind is part of what I was hoping for when I started this thread -- in addition to any self-promotion thread of your own you might want to start to tell us more about your game.
  • Thanks!

DUSK is a rules-light, post-apocalyptic roleplaying game set in the not too distant future.

The book is 100 pages and contains gorgeous watercolour illustrations. The book contains all the rules for the game, a campaign setting with locations, characters and lore. There is a full equipment list, bestiary and set of pregen characters, along with suggested story seeds and GM advice.

The game uses a d8-based dice pool system and has exploding 8s which can lead to some truly dramatic and exciting dice rolls. Combat is brutal and visceral, and the game world is bleak and full of mystery.
  • Vincent Baker recently posted another in-progress draft of World Of Adventure, a PbtA game that's a lot lighter-hearted than Apocalypse World. So far it's just a set of character playbooks, a team playbook (for a sky-ship and crew), and brief notes for the GM. For me it has a scent of Studio Ghibli, especially Castle In The Sky, with a mix of super-science and magic and swashbuckling.

Currently you need to be a sponsor of Vincent's Patreon to get access, and like some other projects of his (Storming The Wizard's Tower, sob) it might never be finished, but even in its current form it's pretty cool.
  • Hi Rafu, don't know if you're aware but there's my "Magic & Steel" (Magia e Acciaio in italiano) that it's "a new way to play old-style fantasy adventures".
    You may find Italian version of the rules (under playtest) here:
    http://www.levity-rpg.net/it/?page_id=3497
    You're going to need a game board, dice and token to play it.
  • Hi Rafu, don't know if you're aware but there's my "Magic & Steel" (Magia e Acciaio in italiano) that it's "a new way to play old-style fantasy adventures".
    Does this have an English version I can check out?
  • You may find Italian version of the rules (under playtest) here:
    Downloaded and added to my "to read" list, thanks.
    Does this have an English version I can check out?
    Yes. It's here.
    http://www.levity-rpg.net/en/?p=365
    Italian version is on 0.6 with a few corrections.
    English version is on 0.4 version. Nevertheless if you're going to have a look in order to catch the 'mood' of the game, you should have plenty of material and ideas to work upon.
    Rob
  • I did create another Crowdfunding Collection.
    It does cover games like Hood and Cold Shadows. Which should be interesting from a story gamer perspective ^^
  • Currently on Kickstarter: Companions’ Tale
    Companions’ Tale is a map-making storytelling game where you tell the tale of an epic hero, righting wrongs and saving kingdoms. The hero acts, and leaves others to tell the tale. You are those others: the hero's closest companions. Whose version of the heroic tale will become canon, and whose will be a footnote to history?
  • edited February 2017
    As If Productions has announced development on "UbiquiCity," an ambitious crossover project including both (1) a GM's Sourcebook and (2) an anthology of original short stories, set in the same world. The system-agnostic sourcebook for science fiction roleplaying games will allow gamemasters to take their players into the world of the book, pursuing their own stories in a rich and dynamic environment.

Curated by Tod Foley (creator of "DayTrippers" and "CyberSpace"), the collaboratively-designed setting weaves the imagination of ten gifted fiction writers into a multi-layered depiction of a foreseeable future, and raises questions about consciousness, reality, and what it means to be human. The anthology features short stories and prose by Niko Carcosa, Antony M Copeland, Tod Davies, DeAnna Knippling, SL Koch, Shariann Lewitt, Kira Magrann, Adrian McCauley, T Reynolds, and Josh Roby. Both books are slated for release in Winter 2017.

A Patreon exists for anyone who wishes to help support the UbiquiCity project. Patrons get a look behind the scenes as the project develops, and higher level patrons will receive copies of the sourcebook for their support. We kindly request your assistance.

For more information:

UbiquiCity Announcement:
    http://asifproductions.com/welcome-ubiquicity

Follow the UbiquiCity Project on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/UbiquiCity

Follow the UbiquiCity Project on Google+:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/QJT9dB

Support the UbiquiCity Project on Patreon:
    https://www.patreon.com/UbiquiCity

Contact As If Productions:
    http://asifproductions.com/contact
  • Just curious, what's the estimate on how long it will take to develop the source book for UbiquiCity?
  • edited February 2017
    4-6 months. But I have a headstart on the writers. The project is unusual and thus it required an unusual approach to management: Over the last year I've been assembling notes for the sourcebook. In January I did a very rough draft of the sourcebook with lots of categorized bulletpoints and suggestive fiction, then I brought the writers onboard to start brainstorming their individual stories. That process is nearing completion now and they're working on their stories proper. As they provide detail I am adding it to the fleshing-out I'm doing simultaneously on the sourcebook itself. So basically, I am deriving much of the sourcebook from the stories, which were themselves derived from an earlier version of the sourcebook. :-)

• edited February 2017
    Dusk City Outlaws is a boxed "fantasy heist/caper" RPG kickstarting now. It's set in a Renaissance-inspired fantasy metropolis full of colourful criminal factions and it's by the designer of the (excellent) D&D boardgame Lords of Waterdeep. It's intended to be an accessible, low-prep game that will appeal to a crossover audience. It seems superficially similar to Blades in the Dark, but according to the designer the mechanics are more inspired by the FFG Star Wars "narrative dice" system, and it's lighter in tone than Blades - I'd say it looks more like fantasy Ocean's 11 than fantasy Kubrick's The Killing.
  • Just in case anyone was on the fence about DUSK I made a character creation walkthrough video here.
  • Currently on Kickstarter: The Watch, by Anna Kreider and Andrew Medeiros.
    Described as a "low fantasy", "military drama" adaptation of Apocalypse World, it focuses on female and non-binary protagonists in what are traditionally men's stories.
  • edited February 2017
    I just hit the "publish" button on my new game Three Dooms.

It's a card-based, take-turns-GMing game of a stone age town, where you build its history and hopefully survive the three terrible disasters that are coming your way. It's inspired mainly by The Quiet Year and Pandemic: Legacy.
  • Relevant because it's a form of crowdfunding, I believe...

Shock: Social Science Fiction 2.0 is apparently being playtested. There's no talk of a release date yet, but Joshua Newman has promised access to the in-progress draft to Patreon supporters of his blog as a Goal (if you don't know how this works, a Patreon "Goal" is much like a Kickstarter "Stretch Goal" - except there's no deadline, of course).
  • Blade Bind is now available for general purchase!

I've discussed the game a few times here during development and the Kickstarter last year. It's a hyper-focussed storygame, very much one of those "blood opera" games that's being discussed in another thread. It's GMless, designed for one-shots, and was largely inspired by Shinobigami and Eternal Contenders.

The mechanical heart of the game is a playing-card-based duelling system inspired by my real-life experience with historical European martial arts (HEMA).
  • I Just released the DUSK: Tribe Toolkit which is a micro-expansion for my game DUSK.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/205873/DUSK-Tribe-Toolkit
  • Hey, D&D lovers!

Tales of the Warrior Princesses, currently on Kickstarter, is a collection of 11 adventures for D&D5, where the revisited characters of several fairy tale princesses are the PCs and take up arms against the enemies of their realms.
    It comes bundled with a (player-facing and no-spoilers, is my guess) setting book describing the realms of the warrior princesses and including their character sheets.
    The project's a long way from funding and could use some help.
  • I’d created a fresh collection of crowdfunding projects, covering projects started between 07 Feb to 22 Feb.
  • Not new, but I've just learned of it by tortuous ways, and I don't remember it discussed on this forum...

The Tempe by Oli Jeffery (link is to free download) is a 3-player fantasy adventure/heist game. Players assume the roles of women revolutionaries in a city state run by an oppressive cabal of wizard-priests, going on near-suicidal missions to challenge their authority. Conflicts are resolved by playing little games of chance and skill with dominoes (such as building a tower of dominoes or racing to form a row of matching dominoes from random draws).

I liked it a lot on first read, though I haven't had the time to digest all details yet. My only complaint is the author has a penchant for using long and hard-to-pronounce nonsense names, even when naming core factions (except the Temple itself) or common everyday items such as sharp sticks.
  • I've just launched my first "Kickstarter" campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/886565487/the-code-of-shojo-and-shonen

It's to raise money to buy artwork for my lightweight tabletop RPG rules THE CODE OF SHŌJO AND SHŌNEN.

Please spread the word. Pop by and have a look and - if you like what you see - feel free to pledge something.

Thanks!
  • I just put out an adventure for DUSK called Medicine Run. It's PWYW on DriveThreRPG.

drivethrurpg.com/product/206064