Story Games That (Just) Use Standard Playing Cards [list]

Could the story-games crowd help me make a list of story games that use standard decks of playing cards. I know that there are threads buried here, but I'm in a bit of a rush and can't really find what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for your help--links very much appreciated.

Here's one I found with an internet search
http://www.playtherapygames.com/HTML/dgptstorytelling.html

Comments

• Primetime Adventures

Labyrinths & Lycanthropes

Contenders and it's heavy metal hack Umlaut use a standard deck of playing cards, but I seem to recall some special 'stratgy' cards you have to print out as well, as least for Umlaut.
  • @James_Mullen Thanks for your help. I'm looking for lite games where the cards function like creative prompts or oracles, rather than randomizers.
  • Love & Darkness from this forum. Very simple, very good IMHO.
  • Well ... the In a Wicked Age oracles are precisely what you describe (here in convenient online form). The game itself has lots of rather complicated rules for conflict resolution, but the oracles themselves are quite evocative and would work fine as story prompts.
  • edited July 2017
    Jim Pinto's Protocol series.
    Rafu's La casetta di marzapane (Italian only, I think).
    Joe Mcdaldno's The quiet year (and its derivative The deep forest).
  • edited July 2017
    Rafu's La casetta di marzapane (Italian only, I think).
    Yeah, I'm afraid so. I'll get down to translating it, eventually.

Clank, by Tim C. Koppang, fits perfectly.

The Drifter's Escape, by Ben Lehman. Cards are used to generate characters & situation in the setup phase (read on a table, like oracles); later, you get to play poker with the Devil and the Man for resolution.

Questlandia uses cards to randomize a kingdom's issues and to create a cast of characters, but it also uses six-sided dice.

For creative prompts & inspiration, rather than generating random numbers, tarot cards are about as common a choice as regular playing cards: they provide stronger visual imagery while still being a common enough item. Playing cards in this same role appeal to me as a designer for their greater degree of abstraction, though, when I don't want the visual imagery from the deck to dominate play.
  • edited July 2017
    @markwallace made a game, inspired by the 200-word challenge, called Love and Darkness. It's been a while since I checked it out, but I remember that the design looked interesting, and like it had a lot of potential to be built upon...
    He posted it in this thread:
    http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/21153/love-darkness-a-200-word-story-game-rpg

Edit: didn't see the comment above :-)
  • There are lots of games which use cards, but this particular criteria is much more rare:
    I'm looking for lite games where the cards function like creative prompts or oracles, rather than randomizers.
  • edited August 2017
    I've written a couple with card-based oracles but they're still very much in beta. I tend to use keywords; "8 of Clubs, Veil, disguise, self-deception", for example. I was inspired by Everway.

Here's one I found and liked, from the Three Forged contest, Last Year's Magic.

For me, images aren't as helpful as keywords and concepts, so I appreciate you asking this. There are lots here I've never heard of!

Edit: Ouch, I forgot the end quote in the link! Also, I did not mean to imply that I wrote Last Year's Magic, just that it was a game that had a nice card mechanic. I rolled a 1 on my differentiate paragraphs check. I fixed both!
  • (Sounds interesting, but the link doesn't work!)
  • edited August 2017
    Sorry, I fixed it. Still getting the hang of using HTML again after too much markdown, I'm afraid!

... and it occurs to me you might have been asking about the ones I wrote. Those are Spider's Web and Eidolons of Fate. Both for Game Chef last month; I'm still thinking about where or if to go from here. But they both have good examples of the kind of keyword based oracle I've been tinkering with lately!
  • Thanks, everyone, for your help, this has been awesome so far!
  • I don't know if you count it as a story game, but Castle Falkenstein.
  • I don't know that it's rules lite as such, but my Blade Bind uses regular playing cards both as creative prompts during character creation, and also for the duelling/resolution system. The form and structure were inspired by both Shinobigami and Eternal Contenders.
  • Another nice use of cards as a prompt is Hot Guys Making Out. (A much more serious game than the title might make you think!)
  • Another nice use of cards as a prompt is Hot Guys Making Out. (A much more serious game than the title might make you think!)
    Indeed! That really is a great game.