What are you working on?

2»

Comments

• Very interesting, Tore_V! Fascinating experiments.

• I'm working on Beam Saber which is a mech/vehicle focused hack of Blades in the Dark.
    It's a game about trying to survive the War, because your actions feel so small in the grand scheme of things. There's no way you can defeat the enemy nations, they're just too large, but you might be able to curtail their grasp and help save someone or something. If you like 08th MS Team, Mechwarrior, or Generation Kill this game is for you. If you're looking for something to play Gurren Lagann, Pacific Rim, or GI Joe you should probably look elsewhere.
    V0.11 is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14uhsdQIyMEoKEx0jGcE9eXIEm0R3MYv6uRCafKINa2k/edit?usp=sharing

I've made a Beam Saber discord for anyone interested in finding people to play with or discuss the game: https://discord.gg/ptUMrcm
  • It’s interesting to notice how little progress I’ve made since I last posted re- game projects I have in the works. Yikes! Of course other ideas have sprung up, or reared their as yet unwieldy heads again....

I made a game called “OUIJA: mystifying Game Master” that uses a... yea you guessed it. The conceit is that our gm has died and we are wrapping up our campaign and saying good bye with one last session via... yep you guessed it. If anyone wants to see this it’s a pretty short read: about 2-3 pages I think it was. Let me know here.

Also thinking about a pick up sticks or jenga based mechanic. Colors dictate the kind of move players can make.

Finally, I’m brainstorming what would go into a game called “the time capsule” in which players put random things together in a “capsule” then create the characters and play out the scenes that made these items important to these people. The characters who exhume the capsule were the ones who buried it.

Fiat lux,
    Davey

• I've begun sketching out Epistellany, which will be a collection of around 25 fictitious letters to be used as props, inspiration, clues and backgrounds for a variety of storygames. I've been inspired to do this after writing some letters from an NPC to various characters in the same family in last year's Fairweather Manor Larp.
  • Working on a Traveller/Cepheus solo space exploration thing, I've been doing a lot of solo gaming lately and I've been craving something with that old school vibe plus the feel of early sci-fi. But, I want something more than random planet generation. I want there to be a story of discovery and survival. So, think of this transporter accident of No Man's Sky, Oregon Trail, the HeeChee saga.

My other project is a space ninja resource management game (very early development), I'm a super big fan of Warframe and I think it would be interesting to create a game that essentially focuses on you creating a rich space opera setting by exploring/playing the game. So, you get a seed and through play you discover new factions, enemies, and locations, perhaps even new game systems as the campaign evolves.
  • James,

That's super interesting. How would I use such letters, though?
  • I'm mostly thinking that the letters will provide inspiration for characters and their stories, as well as for GMs who want to add plotlines to their games with them. There will be guidance on how to do this as part of the package and notes accompanying each letter about how it can be interpreted and what it might lead to next.
  • @James_Mullen I agree with Paul, this is a really interesting idea.
  • Currently working on a powered by the apocalypse game set in the early Viking settlements of Newfoundland, focused on safely bringing your settlement from the harsh wastes of Helluland, through the darkened forests of Markland, into the promised paradise of Vinland. Much of the tone is centered on respect for the old magicks, and sees players casting stones at the start of each outing (essentially rolling one of the two d6 required for moves). As the players set forth and discover new land for their settlement to move to, they cope with the elements, the spirits of the land, and those who came before.

Additionally, I’m putting the finishing touches on a solo Batman game (which is just a hack of The Sprawl) for playing with my partner.
  • Currently working on a powered by the apocalypse game set in the early Viking settlements of Newfoundland, focused on safely bringing your settlement from the harsh wastes of Helluland, through the darkened forests of Markland, into the promised paradise of Vinland. Much of the tone is centered on respect for the old magicks, and sees players casting stones at the start of each outing (essentially rolling one of the two d6 required for moves). As the players set forth and discover new land for their settlement to move to, they cope with the elements, the spirits of the land, and those who came before.

Additionally, I’m putting the finishing touches on a solo Batman game (which is just a hack of The Sprawl) for playing with my partner.
    I dig your idea for the Viking game. Do you plan on publishing it commercially?
  • Thanks, @Jeff_Slater! Publishing commercially is the dream, though I’m not entirely sure where to get started.
  • Thanks, @Jeff_Slater! Publishing commercially is the dream, though I’m not entirely sure where to get started.
    A lot of people on this forums publish their games commercially, so we can all help you figure that out :smile:
  • so we can all help you figure that out :smile:
    I was hoping you’d say something like that!

• I am working on three projects right now:

House of Paper Shadows: This is a haunted house style adventure set in a wuxia setting.

Strange Tales of Songling: This is a variant of Ogre Gate, simplified a lot to get more of a BX feel (I wouldn't call it OSR but it takes the game in faster direction in terms of character creation and speed of play). The setting is inspired by Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling and other works/movies from that genre.

Lady Eighty-Seven: This is a small sandbox/situational adventure based on Lady 87 (A real world figure from the Song Dynasty). She basically had a criminal empire/shadow government and was a notorious poisoner.
  • Still slowly building my Paranoia-with-miniatures collection. Most of the minis are finished, or close enough to use. The terrain collection hasn't really been started, although that's technically vastly quicker and easier to build.

Still no idea which of several available options for system I'll end up using, or whether I'll take the plunge and just build a system or four.
  • Bedrockbrendan,

Those pitches/summaries really speak to me! "House of Paper Shadows" is a fantastic title, too.
  • Bedrockbrendan,

Those pitches/summaries really speak to me! "House of Paper Shadows" is a fantastic title, too.
    Thanks. I should have House of Paper Shadows out soon.

I've been podcasting the Lady 87 Campaign as well (HERE)---the podcast is quite dry as we just hit record and played.
  • I am still working on All The Things.

Hacking Elves has been drafted and edited, and I need to apply my editor's suggestions and put it out on DTRPG.

Looking for Group is 75% drafted. I have some research to do and incorporate, then layout and publishing.

I've incrementally advanced my Traveller and D&D 5e settings. I've initiated talks with a fantastic SF artist about a cover for my 2776 adventure. I've written more material for Mirrorrim (because I'm running it a couple times a week).

I also wrote the barest framework for a new RPG and bounced it off a friend, who is very excited about the possibilities. Like I need a new project...
  • edited January 2018
    I am writing an OSR fanzine - aimed specifically at LotFP but compatible with most of the OSR games out there.
    It is called Black Dogs and the first issue is available on RpgNow as PWYW, so you can check it out for free.

The fanzine has a few "goals", if we can call them that...
    - Make a group that sticks together for more than just gold/XP... somehow, put some sort of "mission" or "morality" into the setting design, to keep characters together and make it easier for the GM to frame adventures. This is done mostly in terms of the setting
    - Make NPCs and in general the "social" part of the adventures more relevant (or if not the social part, the "social adventures" which take place mostly in villages or small towns... those that in AD&D would become political intrigues in the city...). This is done trying to present to the GM guidelines and rules which are heavily influenced by games like Dogs in the Vineyard or Circle of Hands (although this is an OSR, and it plays as such)
    - Make the wilderness scary and the monsters relevant, and somehow connected to the "social" part of the adventures (again, guidelines for the GM and random tables to design villages/towns connected to a monster or something in the wilderness)
    - Play with house-rules: everyone doing something in the OSR does this, and perhaps starts with this, and cannot avoid doing this, at least a little bit :-) As many others, I have my own house-rules for certain topics (chargen, encumbrance, combat, morale, skills, experience, classes, etc...). What I tried to do is to keep each house-rule self-contained and modular, so each single rule can be inserted in another OSR game, without the need to adopt all of my house-rules together
    - Present and develop a setting and an adventure-to-campaign style which is very much what I like to have in my games and how I play them, keeping prep reasonably low, and designing as you go instead of in advance. This part (setting and GM advice) is also a lot of fun to write, which I consider it a plus, at least from my personal point of view :-)

I chose the format of a fanzine so that people can get on board little by little. I hope it's going to be easier to grow a decent audience this way instead of presenting yet another huge OSR tome. This also gives me the chance to receive feedback as I design and adjust my style as I write...

So, well, if you're into OSR, this might be interesting for you. I am of course available to answer questions (if anyone has specific questions or wants to know more, we can open a dedicated thread).
  • Cool, David! I'll grab a copy.
  • edited January 2018
    All but 3 additional rules for my game (love, hate and fate) are now included in the rules proper or incorporated into the format/media/tone/setting matrix.
    I will now extract from said matrix various scenarios (heroic fantasy, dystopian cyberpunk, etc.), and pick the convenient character click and lock from my 36 pages long list of archetypes. Hoping to deliver rough modules next hollydays.
  • I'm currently working on The League of Seekers which just funded on Kickstarter. I love Lovecraftian horror and it's great creating new and interesting ways to show insanity and other weird mechanical effects.
  • Congrats on getting funded, @FeralGames! Very excited to see League of Seekers in play, I really enjoy the notion of Sanity and Insanity each being useful in their own way. Plus, any time you get to say there's a "cursed moon", you know it's going to be a fun night.
  • In addition to Red Carnations (my Paris Commune game) I put together a hack of World of Dungeons: Turbo that is a love letter to Traveller and includes a "Building the Empire" checklist for the group to use. (Sample question: The Empire likes swords because..). This has landed pretty well with the weekly meetup group; the trading system is still a bit borked but everything else is running nicely.
  • I just got finished with my groups first playtest of The Great Game, a pseudo Blades in the Dark hack, where you play as the Greats, rich and powerful individuals who secretly compete to rule the world through espionage and intrigue. It's only barely table ready, but the playtest has told me a lot about the direction I need to go in.
  • I just got finished with my groups first playtest of The Great Game, a pseudo Blades in the Dark hack, where you play as the Greats, rich and powerful individuals who secretly compete to rule the world through espionage and intrigue. It's only barely table ready, but the playtest has told me a lot about the direction I need to go in.
    This sounds very interesting...are you planning on publishing it commercially?
  • edited February 2018
    I have been working on a TBZ-inspired hack of Apocalypse World tentatively titled "Crimson Lotus", although its been a very slow process. So far I have a basic moves sheet and the MC agenda/principles/moves more or less worked out.
    This sounds bloody awesome! I'd love to play it!
  • I've unexpectedly started work on a small game about mortals taking on jobs normally performed by the Grim Reaper, Cupid, etc, through an Uber-like app, so basically they gig as anthropomorphic beings for money. Here's the first draft of the first playsheet.
  • Tore and Jeff, thanks for your interest! It's in the very early stages but my hope is to get it published as a pay what you want at some point. I'm going to come here to find playtesters once it reaches that point, so keep an eye out.
  • edited February 2018
    In addition to Red Carnations (my Paris Commune game)
    hey could you tell me more about this game? What system are you using, or is it like your own system? Do you have a pdf or text thing i can look at?

Can you actually 'win' and keep Paris under revolutionary control for more then like a couple of months?